Computer Knock-Out

Started by Seth, May 02, 2010, 05:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

I woke up this morning and I get a surprise : my computer doesn't start...
So... no TG2 for quite some times it seems :(
see you soon guys.

Tangled-Universe

Nooooooo...you're serious? Does it bleep once, twice or three times upon start-up?

freelancah

Damn. That sucks. Have you used multimeter on the PSU yet or checked the fuse on the plug?

Seth

No bleep. no light. nothing

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Seth on May 02, 2010, 07:22:38 AM
No bleep. no light. nothing

Ah right, I had that too once and that was because my PC "froze in hibernation" (sorry for the play of words :))
This happened because my PC froze while recovering from sleep-mode or when it was just going into. Can't remember exactly.
Anyhow, the BIOS stores the sleep- or hibernation-info so your PC knows what to do. But when things like this happen it might get stuck.

I pulled the powerplug out of the wall. Then I carefully removed the motherboard-battery and kept it out for at least 10 minutes.
After that I installed the battery again (actually I replaced it, but it is not necessary, unless you think it is >4 years old) and then tried to start again and it worked.

Kadri

I hope you find the problem , Seth . First Wetbanana now you...not good  :(

freelancah

Yeah but even in that case the LED on the mobo should be on. If it is on that means he is getting power to the board. If it isn't..well then I'd go with the broken PSU or burnt fuse.

Seth

no led... i'll try what you suggest Martin. damn...

Seth

i almost hope it is just the psu... it doesn't cost a lot of money and i don't lost my files

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Seth on May 02, 2010, 08:03:02 AM
i almost hope it is just the psu... it doesn't cost a lot of money and i don't lost my files

What did the battery removal/replacement do?

Is the LED on the motherboard still on? In my case it was, so then it might be the issue I told about. If it's not on it is probably the PSU.
These ones also have a fuse, though I wouldn't dare guessing where mine is in my pc :)

Seth

The removal didn't do anything... grmbl... :(

Henry Blewer

Unplug the PSU from everything. Then plug the PSU in and turn it on. If the Power Supply's fan starts it could be two things. The motherboard might be faulty, or the PSU has too much dirt accumulated in it.

The next steps are harder. Disconnect every board or peripheral that plugs into the motherboard. Test to see if the ROM boots. If it will, start connecting the components one by one. I start with the hard drive first. You only need the hard drive to boot as far as a DOS boot.(Submarine?)

Now reconnect each component until the error occurs.

You may also have a bad RAM stick. These usually are plugged into the motherboard in pairs. Remove the two higher RAM sticks and try again to boot. You can mix and match the sticks until you isolate the bad one.

I hope this help. Commodore/Amiga tech is back in business ::)!  (I was a certified Commodore repair tech back in the day)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

freelancah

njebeb: The fan on the PSU wont start without a pulse so you do need a mobo in between, or you could do it manually but that is a bit complicated. The first thing I'd try here is to get a PSU from a friend or loan from a store. It's very likely the PSU is dead cos the mobo LED wont lit.  Even if the mobo is broken its likely the LED would lit.

freelancah

Also if you can get one of these from somewhere it will help you: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029373.html

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: freelancah on May 02, 2010, 09:05:58 AM
njebeb: The fan on the PSU wont start without a pulse so you do need a mobo in between, or you could do it manually but that is a bit complicated. The first thing I'd try here is to get a PSU from a friend or loan from a store. It's very likely the PSU is dead cos the mobo LED wont lit.  Even if the mobo is broken its likely the LED would lit.

He never said specifically that the LED of the mobo didn't light up.
He said "no bleep no light" which I think he means just the light from the powerbutton of the PC.