High res QTVR test

Started by bigben, March 05, 2007, 07:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Checked out the up-update, looking good!

Just image how long it would take to create a game with these kind of images (a la Myst 4 style...)
Can't wait to see the final result...
Howgh!

bigben

Quote from: DiscoBall on March 21, 2007, 09:25:02 AM
Oh thanks!
However..there doesn't seem to be a tgo I can use..neh, I'm fine with your cut lawn grass :p It's perfect...for now :P

I finally stopped long enough to get my head around the lambert and reflective shaders so I should have a finished grass model next week.  My plant models will also contain two surfaces to allow for animation. Grass: live to dead, Trees: green - autumn (where applicable) I'll also release a template for people to drop their own OBJ files into.

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 21, 2007, 06:36:38 PM
Checked out the up-update, looking good!

Just image how long it would take to create a game with these kind of images (a la Myst 4 style...)
Can't wait to see the final result...

It should be quicker next time around. The savings produced by the population masking method developed during this project mean I could render larger tiles, cutting down 10 minutes per tile for the populator to do its thing...  that, and I'm rendering all 614 tiles 'cos I was too lazy to determine which tiles were redundant near the zenith and nadir where the camera angles produce substantial amounts of overlap. There are possibly two rows at the top and bottom where i could get away with only every second image.

<edit>And of course it's now Friday morning and I'm wishing I hadn't been lazy and removed those redundant frames from the batch. 62 frames to go... would have been finished by now, but I'll have to wait another day. Reversed the render direction back to top down to leave the longest render times until last (and see a nearly complete render by the time I go home)</edit>

bigben

I finally have 614 tiles rendered.  My efforts to speed up the sky rendering by disabling objects cut the tops off a few trees which I am now re-rendering. There are also a few stitching glitches visible on the current qtvr due to various experiments at different stitching sequences. Most of them I expected, but left them in as a reminder to myself. Some of them were not expected and as far as I can tell are due to stitching rows anti-clockwise. Once I have the remaining 18 tiles I'll restitch the entire image from scratch and then have a close look at what worked well and what needs fixing. I already have a sizeable list of what needs fixing, but given how much surfacing I didn't do I'm also quite happy with the way it's shaping up... and I've also learnt a lot from this forum since starting this render.

old_blaggard

I'm glad you're almost done ;).  I can't wait to see the final result.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

Well it's just about home time. I have all the frames (yay) but I won't be around to see the final stitch finish (boo) so I've bashed out a progressive stitch/qtvr conversion to a new file.

<edit>
It will upload itself after the last frame has been stitched. The first 2 columns are there now, give it a few more hours ;)

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tgdemo/tetons_v6b.mov
3600x1800pixels, it will max out at around 800kb.

old_blaggard

Great scene, Ben!  The realism is great and I love the detail.  I'm impressed by your tenacity and patience with this project.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bigben

Thanks O_B

Reading back through this thread you can see that I've learnt a lot from getting this through to a "finished product", with workarounds for problems that will be crucial to animations I'm planning (and applicable to large scale renders).  I knew of a lot of things I could tweak on this scene prior to starting, but I find that looking at a completed QTVR gives you a whole new perspective of just what works and what doesn't work as well, both for QTVR and normal images.. so from that perspective I had no choice but to draw a line and say OK I'm going to finish a render of this as it is.

Hopefully by the time I get around to rendering the next version I'll have a wee render farm going  ;) 

I'll close this post off now since I started a new one in Image sharing (with a cylindrical version of the pano as well). Feel free to leave comments there

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1178.0