A noob's Wyoming

Started by Harvey Birdman, March 06, 2007, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

I've only been mucking with this (ver.9) for a few days, and I suppose I'm easily impressed, but I think this looks remarkably like the countryside around my house. Add a few antelope and it's perfect.

mrwho

not bad, esp. since it's a first render. You've got good clouds, and some interesting ground textures. NOt what I picture when I think of Wyoming, but if you say it's Wyoming, it's Wyoming ;)

Harvey Birdman

Trust me, it's what a lot of the state looks like. (I should post a photo.) I was pretty pleased with the look of the surface texture. The colors were easy - I just looked out the window. Getting the blend right and getting a realistic bumpiness to the ground took some experimentation. I'm looking forward to getting TG2 and playing with the plants. As good as the surface texture looks in the middle distance out, in the foreground it still looks like painted dirt.

:)

mrwho

yeah, it's tricky. ground textures were never (and still aren't) my strong point in TG and TG2 creations. What you've got is only slightly below what I got in TG .9

Dark Fire

I think that the ground texture is very nice, but I can't give my opinion on its realness because I haven't even been on the same landmass as 'Wyoming'.

Harvey Birdman

Here's a shot looking across my deck. The light level is low so the colors are subdued, and there's the touch of snow on the hills. Note the little group of antelope just the other side of the trees - they aren't too clear, but you can see their white rumps pretty clearly.

This was actually taken through a window from indoors. I didn't want to disturb the antelope.

rcallicotte

Thanks, Harvey.  The red soil reminds me of Arkansas' and Oklahoma's soil.  That snow looks fake, though.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

It's the remnants of a drift that had been about 6 feet deep, extending across the whole front of the house. I shoveled a break for the driveway a bunch of times. It finally got consolidated enough to stay put.

RedSquare

QuoteHere's a shot looking across my deck.

OK now reproduce it with TG2  ;D  Whoops sorry, just noticed you're embarking on 0.9   :-[

Dark Fire

That's a nice-looking deck and an even nicer-looking place to have one...

Harvey Birdman

Thanks, Dark Fire. Yeah, it's sweet. Getting into town and back can be tough when the weather gets rowdy, but I like the privacy.