Beetle WIP

Started by MGebhart, May 07, 2010, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

This is not the final texture. I just did a rough paint to make sure my UV unwrap was correct.

It will also have a cool displacement added.

The second is a screen capture of the UV unwrap and posing.
Marc Gebhart

airflamesred

From the planetary to the micro - Fine work. Am I right in thinking Terragen doesn't read a conventional bump map and there needs to be enough polys in ones model for displacement to happen? How many polys on your z brush beetle?

MGebhart

You are correct on the displacement.

The Beetle is, at this point, around 1/2 million polys. When I start the displacement I will most likly be around 1.5 million. The final export from Zbrush will be around 800,000. I do test renders to determain the lowest poly count yet still have nice displacement.
Marc Gebhart

FrankB

hm well no, Terragen can both apply procedural displacement or use bump maps. The first using "ray trace objects" switched off, the latter with ray trace objects switched on.

MGebhart

I stand corrected. Thank you Frank.

Ignorance is not bliss it's just ignorance. ;-)
Marc Gebhart

dandelO

Nah, Marc, it is bliss, I'm bloody happy as Larry! 8) :D

Nice beetle, I was looking for scarabs recently(I'm Egypt obsessed, as you maybe know) I wish you'd been around, this would have been great for my scarabs! Nice one! Your modelling is getting really, very accomplished, the ant, for example, is pretty much identical to the real thing, can't wait to see this one done and dusted. Cool as! :)

MGebhart

Starting on the displacement. I should have this part done Saturday.
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Texturing and displacement.
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Here is a test render in Terragen
Marc Gebhart

jaf

Very nice!

Marc, do you have to do many changes to your models from Zbrush to TG2?  I really need to get back into Zbrush -- they've made some fantastic improvements and features to 3.5 -- makes one wonder what version 4 will look like.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

MGebhart

jaf,

I model, normally, in 3D MAX. However, I also use ZBrush. I do all my uv unwrap, texturing, and displacement maps in ZBrush.

When I get everything correct in MAX and ZBrush I export the model out of MAX as an .obj then run it through PoseRay.

http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

In Terragen I make sure the textures loaded and then make adjustments to the displacement map.

That's it.
Marc Gebhart