Valley WIP

Started by Mor, May 08, 2010, 04:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

I have had this kind of set in my mind since I first read about the animation contest. Not sure will I be able to get it done though, as I will soon start rather long real world rendering project, which has render time about 6 to 8 months (will start building a house to myself :)). So that will take most of my time for the rest of this year.
Currently only rough terrain with coloring added. Next thing will be planning of vegetation populations and tweaking details.

Mor

I'm making slow progression. After several quick versions I'm finally quite happy with the landscape. Added also some trees and forests looked quite good from closer, even though they look rather scarse from a distance. Still a lot to do and too little time :D

domdib

Nice icy looking snow in the foreground.

rcallicotte

Looks intriguing.  Will it be a fly-through or include other objects?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mor

I plan on making it fly-through to some interesting point. Perhaps a cave or ruin or something like that.

Mor

Some progress again. View from lake. My nest task is to add some more detail to shore of lake and perhaps more color variation to grass areas. Comments and critics appreciated.

- Jani

domdib

Very nice cliffs. I assume you'll be masking the grass layer from the fake stones.

Mor

Quote from: domdib on May 19, 2010, 11:50:22 AM
Very nice cliffs. I assume you'll be masking the grass layer from the fake stones.

Yes, the fake stones were just covered by other surfacing.

Some update again. Large boulders have been surfaced and shore has got more detail.
First, a view from mountain top to a valley. The snow looks little weird in this one and I think something must be done to it.

Mor

Second, towards the valley.

Mor

Third, in the misty forest at the bottom of the valley.

Mor

And here's the fourth one. From the forest to the lake.

Comments, critics and suggestions welcome. What should I concentrate to improve? Entire scene is rather dark, so lighting at least should be increased?

- Jani

FrankB

that's starting to look very, very cool! My favourite view inside the forest, but also the first one with the not yet optimal snow is a grand view!
Just keep going at it!
Definitely increase camera exposure somewhat, I would say. Maybe you could experiment with specular highlights (very softly) on some rocks, which could lead to making some scenes slightly less damp, but I'm not sure if it helps, it's just an idea.

Regards,
Frank

domdib

Yes, the misty forest is very nice - and I'd agree that a bit more exposure or stronger sun would help.

Mor

Thanks for the comments :) Here's one with strenght on surfaces and sunlight strenght increased and more color variety to grass added. Next I will try experimenting the specular highlights :)

Kadri

Looks good , Mor  :)
Wouldn't be the trees more to the sea Level ?