Navigation Malfunction?

Started by PabloMack, May 15, 2010, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

A troubling theme that seems to run through the TG design is that all of my encounters seem to assume that all of your scene building will happen at the North Pole.  Probably all of you know about what it is like at the (real) North Pole.  Not very many of the wonderfully convincing renders that have been done at the TG Virtual North Pole are realistically likely to be found at that latitude.  To me, realism goes beyond how good the render looks.  It includes where on the planet "the photography" was supposed to have been made. 

In my CG, I am shooting for realistic.  That is not only in local visualization, but in simulation of nature on a truely global scale.  This means that the venue chosen for building the detail to be "photographed" will be more often be near the Equator than at the North Pole.  When I do that, I can no longer rely on the Y axis to give me any indication of altitude. 

Getting more to the point of this thread, the navigation controls seem to break when I am anywhere but at the North Pole.  When I bank my camera to the right by 90° the right arrow key that would pan the camera to the right no longer works as expected.  I might even think that it would pan the camera to what used to be to the right (but is now up) when the camera was upright as before.  But no.  It moves the camera forward!  Even the navigation control disk that you open up in the upper right of the UI malfunctions in this same way.  I find myself with two ways to go forward and back and no ways to go right and left.  Has anyone pointed this out or is everyone building their tropical jungles at the North Pole?  ::)

jo

Hi,

Due to numerical accuracy issues the further you get away from the "North Pole" the more problems you are likely to run into with rendering. Although TG2 can render entire planets in practical terms we don't recommend moving a long way from the origin for scenes where you want to be relatively close to the planet and want to work with small details. Normally scenes where you are further from the planet still work ok.

The Planet node has a "Lat long at apex" setting which allows you to adjust where on the planet you want the origin to be. This might be useful if you're georeferencing heightfields, for example.

I can see the navigation behaviour you're describing even near the origin though. I'll file a bug on it, I'm not sure why it's behaving that way.

Regards,

Jo

PabloMack

Thank you for checking it out.  I re-read my post and realized I didn't say exactly what I meant to say.  I had also checked it out at the North Pole and it behaved the same way for me.  I assume the intent is to make the controls always move the camera relative to its current orientation (and not relative to the absolute coordinate system) rather like flying an airplane.  If this could be fixed I would be most pleased.    :)

Kadri

Quote from: PabloMack on May 15, 2010, 03:45:19 PM
... Probably all of you know about what it is like at the (real) North Pole.  Not very many of the wonderfully convincing renders that have been done at the TG Virtual North Pole are realistically likely to be found at that latitude.  To me, realism goes beyond how good the render looks.  It includes where on the planet "the photography" was supposed to have been made. 

In my CG, I am shooting for realistic.  That is not only in local visualization, but in simulation of nature on a truely global scale.  This means that the venue chosen for building the detail to be "photographed" will be more often be near the Equator than at the North Pole.  When I do that, I can no longer rely on the Y axis to give me any indication of altitude. 

If i am not wrong this doesn't matter in TG2. By changing the place of the Sun you are basically making the North Pole  the  Equator .
It is relative and up to you as which place you want to use it . Or do i overlook something here ?

Oshyan

Kadri is essentially right. It's sort of a philosophical distinction. But I understand Pablo's desire for real-world congruency too.

- Oshyan

PabloMack

Quote from: Kadri on May 15, 2010, 11:55:21 PM
If i am not wrong this doesn't matter in TG2. By changing the place of the Sun you are basically making the North Pole  the  Equator .
It is relative and up to you as which place you want to use it . Or do i overlook something here ?

You are correct.  Maybe I just need to plan on doing the animation in LW using a real world coordinate system.  I could then write some software/scripts to do the translations between coordinate systems and import things into TG.  Without working navigation controls, the usefullness of the upcoming TG animation curve editor is in doubt anyway.  I would still have the rendering ability of TG which is what I really want/need most.  One of cyphyr's replies to one of my earlier posts is coming back to me.  Seems that is basically what he does.