Image Mapping a Planet

Started by 3DSFX, May 11, 2010, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DSFX

YES!  I'm a noob Terraformer! :D
Can someone tell me how to make an extra planet in the sky and take a jpg file or whatever and use it to make the surface of the planet?  Or, link an existing thread that explains how to do it?
Lets say a picture of the moon for example.  Do I need to take it in photoshop and change the background to transparent so just the actual moon shows? Or, Do you take a square of rectangel image of the moon's surface and make sure it's tileable and use that? (This is what i'm useto doing in 3Ds max) Can TG2 read Photoshop files?  I've tried allot of different ideas but can't seem to figure it out even though I suspect this is a very basic thing. ::)
I know I can make an extra planet in the sky by making an "object" but for starters is this the correct way to make another planet? Or is there some other more recommended way?

Thanks

3DSFX

gregsandor

Use the search function here in the forum.

3DSFX

I have used the search function ofcorse. I have only been using the program for about 3 days so the bits and pieces I gleen off individual posts have not been enough for me to put it to gether to figure out how to do it because at this point I understand too little about the software.  So, I haven't been able to find anything that's more of a straight up "this is how you do it" kind of a thing.  I have been able to figure out quite a bit for only 3 days use or so but obviously most I have not figured out yet.  :(

3D

cyphyr

You can find lots of planet maps out there on the net, try "celestial motherload" for a start.
Add a new planet object, move it to its desired location.
Copy its "center" coordinates. (look for the small clipboard icon next to the coordinates on the right)
Assign an image map shader to your new planet, (you'll be asked for your image at this point), paste the coordinates into its "position", set the projection type to spherical.
Thats it, simplez :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

gregsandor

Quote from: 3DSFX on May 11, 2010, 01:50:43 PM
I have used the search function ofcorse. I have only been using the program for about 3 days so the bits and pieces I gleen off individual posts have not been enough for me to put it to gether to figure out how to do it because at this point I understand too little about the software.  So, I haven't been able to find anything that's more of a straight up "this is how you do it" kind of a thing.  I have been able to figure out quite a bit for only 3 days use or so but obviously most I have not figured out yet.  :(

Search for "Background stars"   That will give you plenty of info on how to apply a background planet or stars in the sky.

3DSFX

LOL I thought you were kidding at first with Celestual Motherload but I see your not!  ;D
Ok.  I'll try that method and also see what else I can find on the background stars search.

Thank you!

3DSFX

TheBlackHole

You (and everyone else :D) can use the files at Maps and Such (recently updated!). Just click the globe under my black hole.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

3DSFX

Wow nice rescource there thanks BH !

3D

microwar

Just to steel the poste a little.
TheBlackHole: How did you make the earth rotate in you'r animations, and how did you put on the city light image on the shadow side ?

gregsandor

You cn create teh city lights by adding an image of the lights to the planet in the shader's luminosity channel.

TheBlackHole

To be honest, the Earth imagery in The Final Countdown is from Celestia-ED 1.6.0. Not Terragen.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

microwar

Wow, The biggest ones are realy big ones.
1.3 Gig for the different months, and 2.02 gig on the topographic & bathymetric shading image.

Dont leave mutch ram for terragen.