Caribbean...finally done!

Started by Hannes, May 17, 2010, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

OK, here is my try for the contest.
I know maybe it's strange to choose a scene, where in real life nearly everything is moving, which I can't do right now, but I like the scene and maybe I'll do some kind of a "Matrix" freeze frame animation. We'll see.
Right now I am trying to improve the scene: adjusting the border of the grass population and especially getting rid of the weird horizontal patterns in the shore foam at the lower right.
When I'm happy with it, I'll think about the animation path.

domdib

Great looking cliffs, just made for swooping around.

Seth

FrankB

indeed, well done Hannes! Just updated our facebook blog with your entry: Link

Cheers,
Frank

PS: please feel free to "like" us, and mark your attendance with this contest on this page: Link

(named "Your RSVP")

Cheers,
Frank

Hannes

Thank you Frank, I'm in!
Here's a little update (lower quality and a little bit sharpened to show the details). The horizontal lines in the pattern were caused by the warp amount, that was a bit too high.
For the splashes I used clouds with a very low number of samples. That makes it look like lots of droplets.
I also added some whitecaps. I'm not completely happy with them. Going to try how I can make them look more natural.

FrankB

again, a great image and I think the white caps are good, but I would be concerned about the splashes, which will not look good in an animation - for two reasons:
1 - they won't animate like splashes
2 - the brightness of the clouds will change as you turn the camera, due to the sun glow amount setting

I think for the animation, it would be much better to make a very calm water that just waves along very softly. You could try and have a look at Nikitas foam and surf pack, but I'm not sure how to animate it.

Regards,
Frank

inkydigit

looking really nice, lots of excellent details!

Hannes

Well, thank you a lot. This is really a pity! First when I read about the contest I had absolutely no idea what kind of scene I could use. Then I started playing around and came up with an ocean scene with lots of moving elements. :(
I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I try to create an entirely different scene (wouldn't that be against the rules?), because it would really be painful to leave out some of the elements like the splashes?
At the moment I am still trying to improve that caribbean thing. There's still a lot of time, so I hope I'll get some inspiration from above!

FrankB

Not a probem really, if you ask me. The scene is not going to be inferior just because the water is not wild, and no birds. I would just keep going with the scene, continue to make it beautiful, find a few interesting spots the camera can look at and so on. Maybe you have some clouds rolling in, some strands of fog moving here and there....
Of course you can choose to work on a different scene, there's no problem at all with the contest rules. What counts is your final submssion, nothing else.

best regards,
Frank

neuspadrin

Even if you don't use this, it really is a beautiful image. It's a shame it wouldn't animate well.  Definitely keep a copy around for a still image though, it would be beautiful.  

Largent

First off, its an incredible image. One idea for animating it would be to have the scene change in slow motion while the camera pans at a normal speed. If you took out the birds (unless you can make their wings flap), you could have the clouds (spray) and white caps be slightly different in each shot. The downside to this would be that there would not be any effect on the trees from the wind that would create the white caps. The other option would to have gradual, rolling waves causing the spray without wind or birds. I've never animated a scene so all of these ideas could be entirely impractical, but I figured I'd throw them out there.

Oshyan

If you have Deep + Animation you can always try a few frames of animation just to see how it looks. I've been pleasantly surprised by how some things look when animated, so it's worth a try. :)

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks again. Unfortunately I don't have the animation module, so I can't test anything. But I'd love to. I have to think about it... :)

otakar

Hannes, why don't you just branch off? Definitely keep this scene and keep working on it for a final image and then create a separate project where you do what Frank suggests to address the limitations of this contest and animation in TG in general.

It's some great work!

rcallicotte

Very nice!  How will you do the birds?

I love the island!  Your lighting, textures and perspectives are always among my favorites.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?