Epic Planet WIP

Started by TheBlackHole, May 17, 2010, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

I'm not really working on this very often now; I've been busy with other stuff including TG1 planets (no, that's not a typo, it's really possible to create moderately Earth-like planets from orbit in TG1) and other assorted stuff.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

Storyboard now included!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

Does anyone have any advice to make the asteroids more rocky? I'm having a really hard time making them look better.I'd at least like bumps on them. I also turned on Smooth normals but it doesn't show in the render. Maybe the populator is decreasing the render quality of the rocks to improve performance, but that's not what I want here.

Henry Blewer

You could model your roids in Blender. Then import them in.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

Good idea, but I'm trying to do this entirely in TG2. I'll try making an asteroid in Blender. It shouldn't be too hard.
EDIT: Tried it, and it looks AWESOME!!! Thanks for the idea! I still have to get my power fractals right, but so far it is great! No render yet, but I should have one in about an hour or two.

TheBlackHole

Done in 48 min. The Blenderoids (;)) were so render intensive there were a few times I almost expected a BSoD. Thankfully, there wasn't one.

Kadri

Looks better , TheBlackHole  :)
I would make the big ones a little smaller and more sparser !
Maybe 1 or 2 interval populations would be good too !

TheBlackHole

Quote from: Kadri on July 13, 2010, 01:44:16 AM
Looks better , TheBlackHole  :)
Thanks!
I would make the big ones a little smaller and more sparser !
OK, I might try that.
Maybe 1 or 2 interval populations would be good too !
I already have 2 populations, if that's what you mean. I can only have 3 populations, as I'm using the free version. Maybe I should add a third.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBlackHole on July 13, 2010, 03:01:06 PM
I already have 2 populations, if that's what you mean. I can only have 3 populations, as I'm using the free version. Maybe I should add a third.

I did forget that! I use the free version too. But yes 3 populations could look better  :)

Zairyn Arsyn

this is looking pretty good TBH.
Quote from: TheBlackHole on July 13, 2010, 01:39:25 AM
Done in 48 min.
hahaha :D :D
thats nothing.
to what i'm used to getting

try increasing the detail settings it will take longer :D :D

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Rudolfking

Try adding power fractal (large scale) as displacement? That can result groups of rocks bigger than other parts. It works fine with fake stones shader...

TheBlackHole

I'm using object populations, Rudolfking, so I don't think power fractals will do very much. Plus I'm using a Blender model for the boulders.

TheBlackHole

Well, deadline's here, I'm quitting. If I render everything, the render will take so long the deadline will have been a few months ago. ::) I might as well just lock the thread. :(