Textures for landscapes in TG2 ?

Started by Cub, December 22, 2006, 12:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cub

Nubeee warning

Can TG2 import texture maps to give a little something to the old bland landscape, if so any Tutorials about..

Cub

MooseDog

Image Map Shader.

At this early stage, your best resource is bashing around with tests and whatnot. 

I can see there is already a knowledge base being created and developed, and want to thank the contributers, but until it's more substantial we're all just going in to see what works and what doesn't.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Oshyan

If you're referring to image-based textures then you can use either the Image Map shader (most control) or Default Shader to load image maps. If you are talking about texturing and coloration in general you should use the Shaders layout to add Surface Layers and adjust their color and distribution. Refer to the Quick Start guide and the in-progress documentation for details.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

OK, While the main Texture Tuts did just fine for me, I find that texturing using L3DT terrains and getting huge texture maps to go on right is another matter entirely. the more advanced people like me and the L3DT crew of which Oshyan knows of has been talking bout some trouble I am having at:
http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2821#2821
as a reference point. I really need some help here badly atm.
If you have never been there you should, L3DT is a killer App that goes hand in hand in most cases with TG and Tg2. I need a Tutorial that deals with this if posible? I have not found one here or anywhere so far about this one. Main website is:  http://bundysoft.com/l3DT/  and a great place to hang out hahaha.

Is there any Tutorials that deal with my problem that anyone knows of?  I cannot get my 4096 texure map to fit right on my 1025 .ter file and it is driving me crazzzy hahahahaha.
Some screens to share you what I am talking about.

and

and

If anyone can help it sure would be nice.  My map is 10m and the .ter file is 1025, and my texture map is 4096 and I need to get it sized right.  I am thinking I have the terrain setting wrong, but not sure.

DeathTwister
PS: Brother Oshyan when you get a chance I have sent you some email and is important that you get back to me soon, I know ya busy bro, but have emergency trouble on TS. Don't know how to fix.

Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

I'm pasting part of my reply from over on L3DT here in case it helps anyone else:

if read the area where you were entering size for the terrain you will note that it is under "New Terrain" which is *not checked*. That means those values have no effect in this case. You can test this by changing the values, keeping your camera static looking at the edge of the terrain. You will note that nothing happens.

So the point is that all your adjustments need to happen in the texture. Why change the size of both terrain and texture at the same time? That's like trying to paint a house, finding out you don't have enough paint, going to buy more but also switching houses at the same time. ;)

Anyway there are two things that you may still be missing. First in the Image Map shader the size is specified *in meters*. You want to match that to the size of your terrain *as it already exists straight out of L3DT* in meters. So if your point spacing in L3DT is 10 and you have a 1024 sized terrain, it's going to be 10024 meters to a side. *It does not matter that your texture is larger in pixels*, you are specifying size in meters and as long as you specify the same size for the texture it should work.

The second thing is that you want to make sure the position of the texture and heightfield is the same, and is referenced from the same point. If you go to the Heightfield Shader which the Heightfield Load connets to you will see it's at 0,0 by default and *Position lower left* is checked. The same is true of the defaults for the Image Map shader, so it should work right off the bat as long as you specify the size correctly, but just in case you've changed it for some reason, make sure it's "Position lower left" and 0,0 for position.

Finally, if you're having trouble determining the actual size in meters of your terrain, just load it into TG 0.9 and go to Size on the Terrain window. That will tell you.

I hope that helps.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

It would be nice if TG2 hand an analogue of 0.9x's size feature so that export to that version would not be needed I mean what happens when 0.9x is no longer available and you get a system error and you have to reload you software, having this functionality built in would be a time saving implementation as you are not having to shift your concentration else where which usability studies have shown to take up to twenty five minutes to restore.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

Well Seerblue has come to my rescue as I actually brought the .ter file into the wrong area to begin with. I was kinda thinking it had something to do with the importing the .ter file as it shouldn't have been that hard.  I thought this might help others as well so I am going to CC this to you guys.  I am going to get this ROTFL, and thank you all very much for your help and input. /smiles

Quote from Seerblue:
QuoteOne thing to remember is that when you load a ter file into tgtp it
knows the meter spacing and thus the size of the terrain...S, that
being said the only change you should make is where your terrain is
positioned on the heightfiled shader (think planet surface). I go with
positioning by the center of my terrain at the center of it's
measurements. your 1025 terrain at 10 meter spacing gives a real world
size of 10250 per side. so the center is at 5125 (this is terragen
meters). This is input in the heightfield shader itself, not the
terrain load, you will see in the tgd where I input it.
Now as for the image, tgtp knows the image size in pixels, so when
you load a 4096 pixel image what your are setting for center and size
is in relation to the terrain. Kind of like telling it to stretch or
shrink your tex over a given meter measurement inside tgtp to cover
your TERRAIN. I again use the center measurements,  you are using a
larger tex than heightfield, but that does not matter, remember tgtp
knows the image size in pixels, and when you laoded the terrain in
found the meter point spacing, so all you need to do now is tell it
where to position the center and how much terrain it needs to cover in
meters.
For your 1025 pixel terrain it is covering 10250 METERS. So center
your image at 5125 and set the size (per your terrain size) to 10250.

Thanks to Oshyan and Cyber-Angel for your feedback, awesome guys, I love this program. /bows..

DeathTwister  aka Maylock
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on February 14, 2007, 10:45:30 PM
It would be nice if TG2 hand an analogue of 0.9x's size feature so that export to that version would not be needed I mean what happens when 0.9x is no longer available and you get a system error and you have to reload you software, having this functionality built in would be a time saving implementation as you are not having to shift your concentration else where which usability studies have shown to take up to twenty five minutes to restore.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Yes, this is certainly a logical feature and it will definitely be implemented.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

Just wanted to stop by and say Thanks to Oshyan and SeerBlue for there help with getting us this info.  Here is a picture of Terragen and terragen 2 in a screen shot of both views with the textures on right on the terrains. Thought you all would like that to see the differences.

I am still tweaking the textures and overlaying layers to dev the texture better, but at least you can see the differences between the 2 programs now.

Next forests and figure out why my Frog stuff not working right, prolly download again and see if it was messed up somehow before I post here on the forums.

DeathTwister    aka Maylock
ATOMIX Productions

Dark Fire

Wow. I don't think anybody has ever tried to compare the versions before. Nice idea...

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.