Glass

Started by MGebhart, May 21, 2010, 05:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

There aren't any differences in spelling or file locations between the working and not working .tgd's?(I don't think you're an idiot, far from it, just looking for all possible causes of this discrepancy, there may be another .tgd elswhere on your computer with a water shader inside, would be my first guess).

MGebhart

Martin,

Here is a newly constructed scene.

I took two loads from the file\Open Recent to work but, it did work.

I wonder if I'm still sleeping and this is all a dream.
Marc Gebhart

Seth

doesn't work.
same result than dandelO.
I hope you'll find the good tgd.

MGebhart

I can continue getting it to work but, there seems to be no consistent pattern.  Random.
Marc Gebhart

dandelO

Confirmed, Marc. This is definitely a bug, of some sort. Look what I got...

[attachimg=#]

I loaded the .tgd, assigned the model path, cropped to the area and then clicked save and exit.
I restarted Terragen completely, loaded the project from 'open recent', black result.
Then, by simply going to 'file' >> 'Revert to saved' >> Render tab >> Render, I got the blacked out result twice. The third reload of the project in this same way gave me the resulting render posted above.

What the hell? Is this the way the reflective shader is supposed to render its transparency or is the blacked out version correct and this is the bug? It's very strange that it works differently on separate loads of the same project.

Another interesting thing: The model, in Marc's default file, is still checked as 'double sided surface', yet it rendered transparent but without any back faces of the model showing through the transparency. ???
Normally, to get working transparency in an object, you must uncheck 'dss'.

Well, at least one thing's confirmed, I'm not going bat-sh*t-crazy! :D

Any ideas, Planetside?

Seth

can't get it to work here. tried your way 7 times, dandelO, and i always get black result. :(

dandelO

I never got it to work again, Franck. Seems it was a one-off. ??? I've tried it several times over and never got the transparency to come back.
I couldn't believe it when it actually worked, though! Some kind of glitch is happening.

Seth

but by checking the reflective shader inside the glass ball, i don't know how it would work because there is nothing more than the transparency at 1 as Marc said, and we all tried it before without result ^^
so it must be a bug... maybe it can be a "useful" one though because the sphere is really good looking on Marc's renders :)

dandelO

Quote from: Seth on May 23, 2010, 06:02:30 PM
... the sphere is really good looking on Marc's renders :)

Indeed! I do wonder what's happened to the back faces, though...

And, compared to the way the water shader apparently has been changed, better looking even than that, too. The water shader used to render transparency this well.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=9943.0

MGebhart

FREAKY!

Glad to see you got it working at least one time.

Here is another that worked for me.

TECHSUPPORT!
Marc Gebhart

jritchie777

Well, it is possible...

Seth

Quote from: jritchie777 on May 24, 2010, 05:17:56 AM
Well, it is possible...
errrr... it doesn't look like transparency to me :)

indeed Marc, waiting for tech support ^^

jaf

I get the apparent transparency when I load recent, and it's black using file|load too.

I put this model mostly inside the sphere and it seems to show transparency, but I'm not sure about the reflections of the wheels in the base of the sphere.

I was thinking it might be a threading problem, but using 1/1, 1/16, 2/2, didn't seem to matter.

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

MGebhart

Good to see someone else is able to reproduce the bug. Thanks Jaf.
Marc Gebhart

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Seth on May 23, 2010, 06:02:30 PM
but by checking the reflective shader inside the glass ball, i don't know how it would work because there is nothing more than the transparency at 1 as Marc said, and we all tried it before without result ^^
so it must be a bug... maybe it can be a "useful" one though because the sphere is really good looking on Marc's renders :)

If so, then it might be related to the fact that we still can't use grayscale transparency/opacity in object shaders? It is a feature which still has to be implemented if I recall correctly.