Photo sharing communities

Started by Rhalph, May 25, 2010, 09:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhalph

Hi all,

Like many old Terragenists, I've begun to do some photography (Terragen is essentially using a virtual camera in a virtual world, so it's pretty close to using a real camera in a real world :p)

And I was wondering: where to post my photos?
I'm searching for a good community a bit professional-oriented, where I could get advices (no RDR comments like "WOW!!!!!!!!5++++++++++++") and a easy way to show my photos.
I have a deviantart account but it's a bit slow and not really good for photo albums, more individual pics.
I tried Picasa and didn't like the fact that I had to install a software that seems heavy (actually I didn't like the fact that I had to install a software at all).
I'm not sure I like flickr (too restricted for free accounts, plus a controversial policy from what I've read).

Now my boss suggests me to try photo.net. It seems a nice place with helpful people, but is that a good place for photo albums?

What experience do you have with photo sharing websites? What can you tell me about photo.net (so far it's the one to which I'm the most tempted)? Any other community to suggest me?

(As a developer I'm tempted to program my own gallery, but it's too time-consuming, plus I'm not sure to be able to deal with spam and security issues...)

TheBlackHole

Oops. I actually read your post after I wrote mine. Duh.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Henry Blewer

I use Flickr. You can screen your contacts so you do not get all the wow stuff. Deviant Art is good. Ashunder/Terragen.org is good. Image Shack is one I do not like. It always adds cookies and who knows what else.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T