Garden of Eternity

Started by Dune, May 26, 2010, 03:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

This would, unless I change my mind, be my entry. Regard it as a WIP for the time being. Although the large renders of this project were done with 'real' local vegetation, the pops would be HUGE for the whole park. Too huge for an animation. So I replaced the grass by a simple procedural grass, consisting of two fake stones, and two PF's for color variation. And some 'fake flowers'.
I'm not yet sure about the last standing stones, currently building some more...

Any comments are welcome, of course. There's always room for improvement.

---Dune

inkydigit

8) 8) 8)....super cool, this looks like a place I want to explore, love it!
Edit:  The standing stones, remind of Dolmen like structures, but need another stone ,as these are often balanced on at least three stones...still great textures and design!

airflamesred

Kadri

Nearly all of them are good as separate images too , Dune ! You are not making the life easier for the others :)

Hannes

Zairyn Arsyn

this looks really good, great scene.  :)

how many populations do you have in it?  ;)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

@zaai999: There are 4 'normal' trees, one very lowpoly tree for the far distance (just 7 or so angled planes with leaves), and 4 bushes. Oh, and one daffodil. The grass is fake.

@inkydigit: I know. As a matter of fact I have just built a 6 stone dolmen. I might put that in, or some 'modern' monument. Or perhaps something like two large stones balanced on top of each other. Saw that once on a mountaintop in France. Huge stones, with much force to be moved just a centimeter or so.

TheBlackHole

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! IT'S TOO GOOD!!! ;D
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

FrankB

great storyboard, Ulco! I wonder if you can add in more flowers in some scenes? just in a few places. For example, some dandelions would look great on the meadow of the last shot.
Also, here's one more suggestion: the paths look very straight, or in other words, their boundaries are too perfect. What about warping the blending mask for the paths a little bit. In case you have used real world scales for the scene, I would image that a warping fractal with 1m feature size, and 0.1 smallest size, displaced (for the warp) at 0.1m, could make the path look less straight, and add a little randomness.

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

impressive, I wait to see where this one is going :D

Dune

@ Frank: I can add a lot, but I wanted to keep it as low on resources as possible for animation sake. The path of this 'animation to be' covers quite some ground, and I don't want sudden changes in flora. The original renders from this park are much more detailed, and comprehensive, but locally adapted. That wouldn't work in an animation, or you'd need supercomputers. I will try to get some local stuff in, where you go to ground.
I have also made another dolmen, might fit that one in. Like one of these...
The paths are supposed to be quite straight, especially the main Park Lane. But I was also thinking of distracting just a bit, have some grass grow over the paths here and there. Depends on the client  >:( Indeed I'd prefer rougher paths, they might as well.
By the way, never thought of warping  mask... good idea, let's try.

Thanks guys.

Dune

Small update on frame 6.

Zairyn Arsyn

the surfacing on the boulders/rocks looks really good,  :) are they procedural or just image maps???
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

I just looked at the last image. I like the haze at the tree tops. This was done with a cloud layer?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart