Medieval city

Started by Dune, December 04, 2011, 01:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks, guys. I just tested it and (of course) you are right, Matt. The only thing that doesn't work is copypaste an object with the new defaults linked, so I have to relink every copy. So for houses that I still have to make, I will keep things as simple as possible (just a few parts), if they are not entirely visible anyway.

@Martin: I considered that, but I hope (indeed) to get away with it, as I would like to be able to render more views or even an animation. 

Matt

Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2011, 07:19:56 AM
Thanks, guys. I just tested it and (of course) you are right, Matt. The only thing that doesn't work is copypaste an object with the new defaults linked, so I have to relink every copy. So for houses that I still have to make, I will keep things as simple as possible (just a few parts), if they are not entirely visible anyway.

If you have to do this for many models, you'll probably save time using find-and-replace in a text editor.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Thanks Matt. I considered that, but not all models having a 'stone' part use the same texture. And if I keep the 'old' defaults inside the object to find and replace by the new ones, they will probably stay there, but unlinked and will be loaded anyway.
I could of course change all parts' names to the texture they need.... but on the other hand, I still have 2 months...

Dune

Still building houses (about 40 done), but also started putting them in place. Still a lot to do. I also need to look what bushes and scrub to use.

airflamesred

otakar

Final gonna be in B&W? That should relieve some of the texturing issues, no? Love that church in the trees.

Dune

No, not definitely. But they might want to go for an old-fashioned sepia look. Some post scratches and stains would give it a look that might persuade people that there were actually camera's in the Middle Ages  ;)

Cyber-Angel

Can I ask what period in the Middle Ages this is, even if by approximation? From what I can see of the architecture it looks to be form the late Fourteenth Century with elements form an earlier period perhaps middle thirteenth century as well, but predominantly  late Fourteenth Century.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

Dune

I have photos of a 'real' smallscale city at my disposal, which has the basic houses in simple carton, paper and other stuff, and some old drawings. From that I am supposed to make something that is around 1600-1700, so very late actually. Due to the amount I get paid and the time I can spend on this before deadline, the houses cannot be very elaborate unfortunately. After this I will probably make some really fine medieval houses (at least attempt to). These are simple, and only to be viewed from a distance. And the historian isn't providing me with all the details I need of the particular houses, so it's a lot of guess work.

I made some really lowpoly people to lessen the streets emptiness, and will probably mask the roadsides (along the houses) and add some populations of crates, tables and heaps of 'stuff'.

Henry Blewer

This is looking impressive already. The low poly people will work well; they'll help with the sense of scale.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Test 14, but the streets aren't complete yet. On the right side of this view there will be twice as much streets, a castle and two churches I still have to make. At detail 0.5 AA 4 and GI 2/2 this took an hour.

inkydigit

these last few are excellent, especially the misty ones!!
:o

Dune

Some more testing with higher settings...

Dune

And one more. 24 minutes render  :o