Recent posts

Open Discussion / Re: Origin Tribal Duo
Last post by rewvas - October 02, 2024, 10:56:56 PM
Quote from: Jo Kariboo on October 08, 2023, 01:51:37 PMHi everyone, for those interested in primitive music I recently completed a compilation of original compositions on Bandcamp. This compilation brings together pieces with didgeridoo and percussion. Have a nice day !
https://duoorigine1.bandcamp.com/album/shaman-warning geometry dash subzero
Great! :-* :-* :-*
Open Discussion / Re: Tic-Toc Windows Developmen...
Last post by madlyfabulous - October 02, 2024, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: PabloMack on August 16, 2022, 04:40:34 PMI once read years ago that Microsoft had two Windows development teams and that they alternated between releases. One team did the Odd Numbered versions and the other did the Even Numbered versions. The Odd Numbered versions were deemed the best and thus that team seemed to put out a higher quality software product. I later read that Microsoft stopped that practice. I have several Windows 7 systems with AMD Piledriver-based processors and one Windows 10 system with a Zen-based AMD 5650x. Windows 10 is definitely a cheezier OS and looks like some kid designed the user interface as compared with Windows 7. I have been doing daily backups of one of my development directories (running on an older Phenom II-based system) that I use most. I have been doing a double backup to two different drives over the network.  I first start one backup by pulling the director from the Windows 10 system. I then start the second redundant backup by pulling it from an 8530 running Windows 7. The Windows 7 system always completes the copy long before the Window 10 system does even though I started it last and the Windows 10 system is much newer and has a faster processor. They are both using 100MB Ethernet ports. I am guessing that Windows 10 has a less efficient implementation. Does anyone care to shed some light on this discrepancy? snow rider

The performance discrepancy you're seeing between Windows 7 and Windows 10 during network file transfers is likely due to several factors, including operating system design, background processes, and how each OS manages network resources. 
Windows 10 introduced several new features related to networking and file sharing (like SMB 3.0) that theoretically enhance performance, but they can sometimes introduce overhead, particularly in complex or mixed environments. Windows 7 may rely on simpler file-sharing protocols that are more efficient in certain legacy or low-bandwidth networks like 100MB Ethernet. 
Windows 10 tends to run more background services and telemetry compared to Windows 7, which can consume system resources (CPU, memory, etc.) that might affect network throughput. These background processes could contribute to slower performance during file transfers, especially when multitasking.
Disable unnecessary background services on Windows 10 to free up system resources during transfers.
Consider adjusting the SMB protocol version on both systems to ensure they're using the most compatible version for file sharing.
Ensure that both systems are optimized for performance over networked environments, adjusting network adapter settings if needed.
Use diagnostic tools like Wireshark to examine the file transfer performance and identify bottlenecks specific to Windows 10.

Skies, Atmo, Clouds / Re: Cloud Library
Last post by robk2024 - October 02, 2024, 09:42:24 PM
Figured it out.  needed to hook up clip to atmosphere in the schematic
Skies, Atmo, Clouds / Re: Cloud Library
Last post by robk2024 - October 02, 2024, 06:56:24 PM
More or less a beginner here.  I have downloaded some of the .TGC files in this thread and imported into a new project.  The cloud layers come in but don't show up in the sky.
I can't figure out what is going on.  The .tgc files I have imported all look fine in the atmosphere tab but don't show up in the sky.
A little guidance would be nice.
Thanks
Terragen Discussion / Re: Question: How to import or...
Last post by robk2024 - October 02, 2024, 06:52:23 PM
More or less a beginner here.  I have downloaded some of the .TGC files in this thread and imported into a new project.  The cloud layers come in but don't show up in the sky.
I can't figure out what is going on.  The .tgc files I have imported all look fine in the atmosphere tab but don't show up in the sky.
A little guidance would be nice.
Thanks
Image Sharing / Re: Genesee River
Last post by Stormlord - October 02, 2024, 06:49:19 AM

I would like to see more renderings, that's why we're here...
But nevertheless, very impressive renderings and research.

By the way THX for visiting my site!

STORMLORD
Terragen Discussion / Re: How can I make a sphere tr...
Last post by Dune - October 02, 2024, 06:20:24 AM
That's probably the foam layer, of which the altitudes are not set as they should. Try disabling that.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Can you generate procedura...
Last post by Dune - October 02, 2024, 06:16:25 AM
A lot is possible in Terragen, it's a terrific playground, and if you like experimenting, there's a ton to be learned. You can add a glass/water shader to a sphere same size as earth, but also make certain parts 'invisible', other parts non-transparent. And combine this stuff in crazy ways. Like this freakshow  ;D Beware that I unchecked defer all.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Can you generate procedura...
Last post by Kevin Kipper - October 01, 2024, 06:05:10 PM
Yes, you can apply the water shader to a sphere object.

Stormlord has posted some in-depth tutorials that include water and shorelines too:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=18809
Terragen Discussion / Re: Default Shader Opacity Tab...
Last post by Kevin Kipper - October 01, 2024, 05:58:55 PM
Sorry to hear that you're feeling baffled and befuddled using Terragen. 

It appears that in your example project, the Sphere 01's Default shader has an Image Map shader assigned to its Opacity function, the same image applied to its Opacity Image parameter, and an Opacity value of 0.6125.  

The first thing to understand is that the value of all three of these parameters are multiplied together in order to determine a value for a given point on the surface being sampled by the renderer.  Many of the Default shader's parameters work this way.  For example, the Base Colour, Colour Image, and Colour Function parameters work in this manner when determining the colour value of the point being sampled by the renderer.  

That being said, the surface's opacity will still be rendered as I described in this previous post:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30900.0.html

To summarize, the opacity of the Default shader on the sphere's surface will be either fully opaque where the opacity value is 0.5 or greater, or be completely "transparent" where the opacity value is below 0.5.  In those transparent areas, the shader network connected to the Default shader's Main Input will be revealed, and if nothing is connected to the Main Input then that area will be black.