Recent posts

Terragen Discussion / Re: New external drive Tg4 can...
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 05:09:30 PM
I've written a quick python script which basically does the copy/paste that Matt suggested.  It's limited to Image Map Shader nodes only.  It's available for download on git-hub here: https://github.com/RedMawVFX/tg-replace-image-map-paths.  I'll post this in the forum announcement rpc thread too.
Last post by Matt - March 11, 2024, 04:23:23 PM
If you can load the .tgd file into a text editor it should be possible to do a replace-all text replacement of the volume name with the new path. Is the file too big to do this?
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 02:36:47 PM

I don't seem to have the option to export gathered project but as non of the assets are loaded into the project how would this work?
Would i then move all the assets into a folder for the project?
Image Sharing / Re: The Rough-Hewn Shore
Last post by schmeerlap - March 11, 2024, 02:27:28 PM
Thanks Martin. The scene took 3hrs 15 min to render with the standard renderer. AA 6, Microdetail 0.9, both defer checkboxes ticked. I revisited the rocks, made a few adjustments, and made a crop render over a section of the rocks with AA 10, and a reflective shader to get a wetter feel to the rocks, doing that bumped the render time up for that crop from 12 min to 48 min, with not much more bang for my buck in terms of noticeable improvement. Hopefully the new computer I purchased recently will be returned to me repaired (power supply developed a fault soon after I received it) and I'll be able to radically reduce the time of my renders.
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 02:13:18 PM
So the original all that has changed is the external drive name and two paths have been added in the string.

so it was.  Volumes/LaCie/project_name/Shots/shot_name

The setup now is Volumes/LaCie RAID VD 0/JAMESADAMSONVFX/project/project_name/Shots/shot_name

The weird name for the external drive was automatically generated when I striped it into one drive.

Thanks again.
James
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 01:48:49 PM

Can you provide an example of how the file paths have changed?  For example, were the image map file paths previously in the project/Project_Assets folder, or located randomly across the hard drives/network?  I'm asking in order to get a better idea of the type of script you would need to address this type of issue. 

Another idea might be to use the "Export Gathered Project" option.  This will save all the contents to a folder you specify, including texture maps, and re-path them in the gathered project.
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 12:42:42 PM
Hi. Thanks for your response.
Unfortunately I dont know Python and the project file is massive.
Any other ideas?
Thanks.
James.
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 12:17:57 PM
Hi James,

I'm not aware of a specific tool in Terragen to search and replace/update file paths for image maps loaded into a project.

I suspect that if the image maps existed in the Terragen Library, the library would also need to be refreshed, otherwise they would point to the older location.

One approach might be to write a Python script that would use the Terragen RPC feature to read through the image maps in the project, and replace existing paths with another path that you would specify.  Another alternative would be to text edit the project file, replacing the old path with the new path via a copy/paste operation.
Terragen Discussion / New external drive Tg4 cant lo...
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 11:49:34 AM
Is there a quick way to search an locate image maps etc as the file path has changed?
Image Sharing / Re: The Rough-Hewn Shore
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 11, 2024, 09:07:34 AM
That looks interesting. The lighting is kind of overcast, but also not really.
The rocks look good and I also like the patch of fog. I think it could be a bit denser/less transparent for a bit more drama.
How long did it take to render? I feel a bit of an itch to up the AA. Like detail 0.6 with AA8 or AA10 and deferred (think this is deferred already though)?