Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Image Sharing / Re: 15 miles on the Erie Canal
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 02:55:24 AM »
Man this sort of stuff is just amazing, the amount of detail is great. I can't wait to see this with an atmospheric setup.
Image Sharing / Re: 15 miles on the Erie Canal
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 02:49:33 AM »
So the interurban passenger car is completed and shaded. Some of the dirt and weathered surfaces need tweaks, but that can wait till the final scene is set up.

The trucks are shaded with a modified version of Hanne's rusted iron shader, and his brass shader is used for the grab bars and other metal trim. (Thank you for sharing, Hannes!) 

82813-0

Closeup of the truck.

82817-1

I don't remember the poly count but it is much higher than necessary. Once you start doing the research and modeling it can be hard to stop. Honestly I'm a little tired of looking at this it's been more than two months and it's time to move on to the other models that will be needed for the scene. This and the bridge are the most complex, so I'm hoping that the rest will now go more quickly.

The remaining models include two more boats, several buildings, and infrastructure like utility poles and power lines.

This doesn't represent the final car position and angle, but shows its approximate size in the final scene.

82815-2
Terragen Discussion / Re: VDB workflow testing
« Last post by Matt on Today at 02:17:22 AM »
Ideally the VDB will load into your scene and appear approximately in the right place above the calibration chart. It won't match exactly because the VDB export doesn't account for the curvature of the planet, but the difference in position should be no more than a few pixels in the render. I will fix this in one of the next rounds.

If you have to make any scale changes or position changes to get something close to my renders, please let me know.
« Last post by Matt on Today at 01:57:36 AM »
vdb_calib_01 renders from Terragen:
« Last post by Matt on Today at 01:50:39 AM »
Let's post test renders in this thread.

Testing Round 1

https://tinyurl.com/ycbscxxk

In this package you'll find:

• 1 VDB file that was exported from Terragen (vdb_calib_01_export_v001.vdb)
  • 1 OBJ file of a square plane, 10 km by 10 km (10km_calib_chart_v002.obj)
  • 1 MTL file for the OBJ (10km_calib_chart_v002.mtl)
  • 1 texture map for the square plane (10km_calib_chart_v002.png)
  • 1 FBX camera that was exported from the Terragen test scene (vdb_calib_01_camera_v001.fbx)
  • TGD scene files for Terragen renders of the original cloud layer (not the VDB) hovering over the calibration chart
  • Renders done in Terragen of the original cloud layer (not the VDB) hovering over the calibration chart, from which the VDB was exported
  • Screenshots of settings for the camera and sunlight used in the Terragen renders

The square calibration chart should be a Lambert diffuse surface. It has four quadrants that should have albedos of 4.5%, 18%, 36% and 72%. The texture map is intended to contain these values if read into a renderer with gamma 2.2, but sRGB colour space should be close enough.

The 3:2 image aspect ratio may seem an unusual choice, but I did this because it matches the default aperture/film back on the camera, and I thought this might reduce the chance of the FOV being different when you enter the 50mm focal length or import the FBX file.

Our first goal should be to render something in various 3D packages that closely resembles vdb_calib_01_shadow_of_black_cloud_v001.tif (or .exr)

Matt
You can't do it with heightfields, unfortunately, but you can with image map shaders.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: How do you rotate Image mapped textures on a Planet.
« Last post by eapilot on June 19, 2018, 11:41:34 PM »
Ok,thanks!  I will try that.  I had the impression that I couldn't do this based on old forum posts relating to this subject.
Terragen Discussion / Re: How do you rotate Image mapped textures on a Planet.
« Last post by Oshyan on June 19, 2018, 11:39:03 PM »
You should be able to just use a Transform Input shader, as Dune shows. I don't think rotation should mess up the center point positioning on its own.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: Error 135 ?
« Last post by Oshyan on June 19, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
*Any* non-English (e.g. accented) character would be non-valid for TG at present.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: Error 135 ?
« Last post by WASasquatch on June 19, 2018, 11:02:01 PM »
Does your username within Windows also contain a special character? That would make the path to the desktop invalid for TG.

Oshyan, do you know what unicode encoding TG uses? It would help narrow down a list of invalid characters for bla bla.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10