Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Image Sharing / Re: Whale Beach
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 04:38:50 PM »
Wicked rock formations. That's really cool. Definitely can say you nailed the separate and distinct terrain types. Great work on this for sure.
Image Sharing / Whale Beach
« Last post by cyphyr on Today at 04:32:14 PM »
This started as an experiment about combining different kinds of terrain and keeping their characteristics distinct.
I was also interested in the abstract quality images can take on when viewed from a birds eye perspective.

The Otter seaplane is from CadNav.
The Inflatable boat is from Archive 3D.
The Whale skeleton is from the Unity Asset store by Maksim Bugrimov.
Trees from Xfrog.

Render time 2h 31m at 0.8, 8.

It's nice to have the chance to get back into my own work for a while, all those ideas that have been kept locked away can be given some space :)
Crits welcome as always.
Terragen Discussion / Re: GI artifacts
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 03:54:18 PM »
So after swapping out the lake objects for displaced spheres my rendering times went through the roof. What had been a comfortable overnight 6-7 hour render became 20 hours and counting . . . I cut it off at 73 percent.

There are two water spheres, for ground level streams and the elevated canal surface, so any rendering penalties must be getting doubled. Even so this seems unreasonable. I'll take another look at the network to see if I'm doing something wrong.

In the meantime it's back to the lake object and high GI blur radius values. Suddenly they don't look so bad after all.
Image Sharing / Re: Saturday's play
« Last post by bobbystahr on Today at 02:59:04 PM »
Ha ha ha ha, help I'm trapped in here...LOL. Oh yeah great progress and fine render.

... a striking similarity!  ;D

Hee hee hee
Thank you for replying, I'm blending across 5 frames. But I don't think this is where the problem lies, because the tgCloudIndirect pass is pretty clean and does not exhibit any flickering. It can however be clearly noticed in the tgCloudDirect pass.
I put a full frame render on the farm over the weekend with the 'Use voxels for shadows' disabled. Lets see what the results are on Monday.

Thanks. I checked the micropoly and antialiasing settings in the render node but was unsure what else to check. Yeah, the mutation python scripts makes one good image for every 300 bad images. One problem is that I don't know reasonable paramters ranges. Still a work in progress...
Open Discussion / Re: completely preserved ancient horse, 40,000 years old
« Last post by René on Today at 10:27:37 AM »
If they were to find a 40,000 year old and well-preserved human, then I think it would be considered to be very old, and also a sensational discovery. From that point of view, I think it is quite an important find. :)
I had flickering GI for the first time in a very long time this week. Had to blend 20 files in the end to fix it. Are you blending over a large amount of frames?
Terragen Discussion / Re: Is Terragen "work" respected ?
« Last post by ajcgi on Today at 09:32:02 AM »
I've made stuff that's been in documentaries and drama for Sky, BBC, NatGeo and so on. If it does a good enough job for the VFX studios, it's a tool they'll use.
So I've got three Easy cloud systems at various altitudes. The atmosphere is very dense and I've animated the Growth parameter to rapidly shrink the thick, heavy clouds. The sunlight comes streaming through it.
Plenty of GI cached frames which I'm interpolating resulting in a very clean looking 'tgCloudIndirect' pass. However, my 'tgCloudDirect' pass is showing significant flickering in the larger shadow masses of the clouds closest to the sun. Despite having pretty strong quality levels. AA6, Micropoly detail 0.1 (no terrain is visible, so I suppose it can be this low?), Ray marching quality at 0.8, Cloud GI quality at 'Sequence Quality x4', Cloud GI max ray depth 2, Voxel scattering quality 50. Pixel noise, while visible is acceptable and not the issue here. Flickering only really starts once the growth parameter starts decreasing. I'm thinking shadows are the culprit? Any suggestions? Testing disabling 'Use voxels for shadows' now. Fingers crossed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything