Recent posts

Image Sharing / Re: Plants
Last post by Doug - Today at 02:55:08 PM
You are welcome.

Here is another one with wood. Not to bad so far, i need to roughin it up more and displacement or something.
Image Sharing / Re: Some recent works
Last post by Stormlord - Today at 12:56:02 PM
Yes the right mood, that's the answer...
Maybe I'm too technical...

Last post by Dune - Today at 09:36:11 AM
I make them by eyeballing how it looks, then have my wife check them (she's better in colors). I know about your charts, I have them, but to be honest, I never use any charts. In some situations, I still have to change colors to get the right mood.
Last post by Stormlord - Today at 07:18:30 AM
Do you have a chart for your colors, or do you just create them on the fly?

I once made some color charts for different situations... here is the one for grass colors.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28215.msg280624.html#msg280624

STORMLORD
Last post by Dune - Today at 03:18:15 AM
Thanks Dirk.
Image Sharing / Re: Plants
Last post by Dune - Today at 03:17:37 AM
They look good. Thanks for the link.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Object Conversion from TGO...
Last post by Dune - Today at 02:10:38 AM
Terragen has no such options to choose/check. It could be that if you open the saved obj in an app like ZBrush, you might be able to re-establish the parts.

What I would be interested in is how you can 'render the textures onto a 2D image that can be used by other software packages'. I often use generic textures that are called in, but a single combined texture would sometimes be handy to have. Can you expand on that perhaps? What app could do that?
Terragen Discussion / Re: Object Conversion from TGO...
Last post by grahamrodriguez - April 29, 2024, 11:56:35 PM
Quote from: Stormlord on February 19, 2024, 08:45:29 AMI have a question regarding tgo converting.

I have some plants as .tgo files and want to export them to use, manipulate and editing them in other software packages.
All plants have several materials in their parts shader.

When I export the plant as a wavefront obj then I got an obj, which I can import into 3DsMax for instance, but with just one single generic material, no .mtl file is written during the export.
The exported obj will merge all different materials from inside the parts shader, into one general standard material. Arrrgghhhh...
When I import the exported obj, all faces have the same material ID too, so breaking the mesh apart into it's different materials is impossible.

When I export the plant as a lightwave file, it splits the tgo in all its layers but then the uvw coordinates are gone, they just say good bye my friend! Arrrgghhhh...

How can I export my tgo into other software formats without loosing uvw-coodinates and keep their different materials from the parts shader?
How do you export tgo into other software packages?

STORMLORD

Hello,

Exporting .tgo files while preserving UVW coordinates and material information can be a bit tricky, but here are some steps you can follow to maintain the integrity of your models when exporting:

Preserve UVW Coordinates: Ensure that the map channel for the UVW coordinates is set to 1. This is because the .obj format supports only one map channel, and it must be channel 1. If you're using modifiers like Automatic Flatten UVs, set the map channel to 1 and choose to move the UVs.

Maintain Material Information: When exporting to .obj, the .mtl file should be generated alongside the .obj file. This .mtl file contains material definitions that reference texture files. Make sure that when exporting, you choose options that include writing material libraries and that your materials are properly set up to be recognized by the exporter.

Exporting Complex Materials: If you have complex materials or composite materials, you might encounter issues. In such cases, consider baking your materials into texture maps before exporting. This process involves rendering the textures onto a 2D image that can be used by other software packages.

Check Export Settings: Different software may have specific settings for exporting .obj files that can affect how materials and UVW coordinates are handled. Review the export settings in your software to ensure that they are configured correctly to preserve this information.

Software-Specific Solutions: Some 3D software packages have their own tools or plugins designed to handle the export of complex models with multiple materials and UV sets. It might be worth exploring these options if they are available for your software.

I hope the information may helps you. 

Image Sharing / Plants
Last post by Doug - April 29, 2024, 05:34:03 PM
I found these plants for Blender. They are .fbx files, so i load them into blender and save them out as .obj files.
The maps come with them. They are 2k, 4k, 8k and 16k.

https://gscatter.com/

Image Sharing / Re: Sandstone Rocks
Last post by Doug - April 28, 2024, 02:49:55 PM
I climbed up your rocks and found this.