Recent posts

Image Sharing / Beautiful tufflandscape
Last post by Uwe Kronemann - March 25, 2024, 03:20:44 PM
I found a very beautiful new texture. Texture to make tuff-landscapes.
Webside: iStockphoto.com   Searchword: tuff or tuff texture . . .
(Texture is expensive but very beautiful and useable)
Terragen Discussion / Re: Pixel gaps in rendering
Last post by pokoy - March 25, 2024, 02:37:39 PM
This could an image filter problem where a sharpening filter produces negative pixel values. Try using the Cubic B-Spline filter, it might help.

Also, are you using any of the Post Effects? If so, they might not clamp values below zero produced by image sharpening and result in strange artifacts.
In any case, using a soft filter might help to sort this out.
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 25, 2024, 01:47:54 PM
Intriguing issue, but annoying for you for sure.

If you like, can you share an .exr which exhibits this behaviour?
Last post by sboerner - March 25, 2024, 12:56:21 PM
They're back. I thought last night's results might be too good to be true. One artifact has appeared so far in the rendering I started this morning.

The FreeImage bug is real, anyway. Good to know that. As far as the Space Invaders go, I'll wait to see if anyone from Planetside pops in here. If not I'll contact them by email.

:(
Image Sharing / Re: Nice place for R&R
Last post by Stormlord - March 25, 2024, 10:59:16 AM
Oh... an update... looks good, but the house is too dark (texture illumination set to 1.0, like at the plant tut?)
And Ulco is so right, more bushes would be  great!

STORMLORD
Last post by sboerner - March 25, 2024, 10:45:09 AM
I'm curious, too. In the meantime, last night's rendering came out fine. Running another one today while I work on other projects. If I can get 3-4 renderings in a row without the artifacts, I'll be satisfied that it's fixed.

I use EXR files a lot: For VDMs, displacements and sometimes even for masks, especially if they are paired with color adjustment shaders for choke/spread control. I just like the headroom, and displacements look way better. If you compress them the file sizes are manageable.
Last post by pclavett - March 25, 2024, 09:56:21 AM
You are right Ulco, those trees are in the way of the view...... was too eager to try these beautiful trees from 3D-Shaker ! Another render on  the way with the Path Tracer. Will try to lighten the cottage somewhat, although this kind of dark brown is very popular these days in Canada. I did lighten the the load of plants on the ground as they were suffocating each other. Also put in some randomness in the flower bed as it looked too even. The rocks were also changed on the base of the chalet as one of the rocks has a distinct area that appeared repetitive. Will post when ready and work some more on the project with those trees changed for something less obstructive. Thanks for the suggestions !
Image Sharing / Re: Canyon series 1
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 25, 2024, 04:37:09 AM
Thanks guys!

Ulco, for the water I just used 2 fractals mixed, one perlin mix 2 and the other ridges, both with low octaves.
The lambert shader does not use translucency. Good that you mention, I adjusted my post to this.
Basically it's just the node I used, it could have been a surface layer with the same colour as well. Would have done the same.
It's not rendered with PT, actually. All the colour and hues are from the GI. I used very high cache detail, like 16 with sample quality 32 (hence filename).
Image Sharing / Re: coastal cliffs
Last post by Upon Infinity - March 25, 2024, 04:37:04 AM
Interesting technique. Great results! I could never get cliffs to work right in TG.
Last post by Dune - March 25, 2024, 02:25:50 AM
Nice POV. If I may make some suggestions; if you have a property like that with a view like that, the gardener must be a bit loony to place a row of trees to obscure that view ???  I'd rather put some small shrub and perhaps one or two 'thin-leaved' trees in the corners, like birches or so.
About the chalet, it's very dark and not too welcoming; I'd lighten up the wood and roof, give the roof (shingles?) a 0.3 of reflection, in fact perhaps the wood too, so it reflects a bit more light in dark areas.
If you do this in PT, don't forget to change the specular roughness in the glass shader. The default 0.01 will blur the reflections a bit (unless you want it to). But what do you mean by 'a bit transparent'?