Concept of a Roman made canal. Comments are welcome of course. Anything to increase quality.
You know, why don't you publish your own book - "Across the ages with Ulco Glimmerveen". 8)
Quote from: Dune on September 13, 2019, 01:37:04 amConcept of a Roman made canal. Comments are welcome of course. Anything to increase quality.
How about a slight DOF at the very end of the canal + some bugs/dust particles in the air?
Quote from: torebernhoft on September 13, 2019, 05:32:03 am...some bugs/dust particles in the air?That could work. A few pesky horseflies. Very common in areas like that.
Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind. Seems my setup was a bit too 'romantic' with the wide canal and trees. Canal should be 14m and hardly any trees. Well.... back to the drawing table.
Quote from: N-drju on September 13, 2019, 02:33:05 amYou know, why don't you publish your own book - "Across the ages with Ulco Glimmerveen". 8)
echo...I'd buy that!
I've been thinking about that, sort of like the book of paintings I have at Blurb. Lot of work though and they're pretty expensive for a bit of book. You're talking $50+
Anyway, made some changes. But more grasses and herbs are needed, and the second horse is a bit off. Thinking whether any bugs would be visible. Anything else, tell me!
Everything seems to work really well. Something I particularly like is that all the figures seem to be engaged in a physical stance that actually pertains to whatever task is at hand.
Love it!!! But there's one thing that looks a bit weird, which is the sail. It looks a bit like the huge maps we had in school. It should look more like fabric.
You're right, Hannes. I've had my doubts too. Hard to get it to look like fabric though. From this distance you won't see fabric texture itself, but the translucency (o.5) and opacity (o.6) have to be worked on, as maybe the tiled pieces of stitched together fabric. Maybe some wrinkles...
The sail is the part of the image that sticks out. For me it is mainly the squares.
If you make the pieces vertical from top to bottom and the stiched seams a little bit thicker and wider
so the linnen doubles up a bit more (the linnen was put together by hand with rather thick needles and
sewing thread in those days, I would presume) it would make a difference for sure.
And then there often are those little windmarkers on the sails (see attached pic). Nice detail.
I came across a Spiegel article about the University of Trier in Germany.
Take a look at the archive. The pictures and links to two websites are in there.
If you need help in translating the german text let me know. hth.
Thanks Klaus. I'll check out those sites (german is no problem). In the meantime I found some reference, and saw that sails often fold from corners, so I'll have a go at it. Easiest is probably ZB, as Lightwave cloth simulation is often a bit awkward (for me at least).
Quote from: Dune on September 13, 2019, 12:12:51 pm. You're talking $50+
heh heh, I've paid more for books by long dead dudes I never met so I'd not wince a that price fr a friend's book....just sayin'!
Great project! Echo publication!
I made some changes. Sail was a good idea. Added some real geometry and different texture, though bumpmap could have worked too (from this angle anyway).
Improved sail is much better.
Muuuuch better! I especially meant the bump of the sails, and you nailed it. And the texture looks way better as well.
Quote from: Hannes on September 15, 2019, 12:07:52 pmMuuuuch better! I especially meant the bump of the sails, and you nailed it. And the texture looks way better as well.
Yes. These sails are looking much more believable now. Very good!
And thanks very much for the tgd. I`ll going to examine that soon.