Planetside Software Forums

General => File Sharing => Topic started by: Matt on May 10, 2020, 07:32:08 pm

Title: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 10, 2020, 07:32:08 pm
Hi everybody,

The File Sharing area of the forum now has a number of sub-boards. I hope this new structure will help people to find the kinds of assets they're looking for more easily.

Please post new files into whichever sub-board makes sense to you. For the time being I have left most of the existing posts where they were, uncategorized. However, I've move the "Library" threads into the new sub-boards. You can add to those Library threads or you can post new topics.

If you have some feedback or ideas on how we can improve the File Sharing area, feel free to reply below.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: N-drju on May 11, 2020, 07:41:00 am
Was just wondering if a "Man-made objects" category could be a thing.

Besides, if you would like to arrange other threads in the main file sharing forum I could help and classify them for your future reference. Plenty of time these days, you know...
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 12, 2020, 03:34:02 pm
Quote from: N-drju on May 11, 2020, 07:41:00 amWas just wondering if a "Man-made objects" category could be a thing.

I was thinking that man-made objects could go in the Other Objects section.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 12, 2020, 03:39:07 pm
Quote from: N-drju on May 11, 2020, 07:41:00 amBesides, if you would like to arrange other threads in the main file sharing forum I could help and classify them for your future reference. Plenty of time these days, you know...

Thanks for offering. Please do! I have changed permissions on the File Sharing section to allow you to do this.

- Anyone in the "1k+ Member" group can use Move Topic in the File Sharing section.
- When you move a topic, please do not post a redirection topic because I think that would create too much clutter.

Thanks!
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: WAS on May 12, 2020, 05:42:45 pm
That sounds great, better than the idea I had of just letting topic creators move their topics (considering the amount of topics without active members). I don't see any option to move any though. oh there it is. Mobile dropdowns should maybe have an icon hmm.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 12, 2020, 07:16:01 pm
Please take care to move flowers and trees into the Vegetation section, not Other Objects.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: N-drju on May 13, 2020, 04:06:56 am
Quote from: Matt on May 12, 2020, 03:39:07 pmThanks for offering. Please do! I have changed permissions on the File Sharing section to allow you to do this.

- Anyone in the "1k+ Member" group can use Move Topic in the File Sharing section.
- When you move a topic, please do not post a redirection topic because I think that would create too much clutter.

Thanks!

Works fine. Let's get busy. ;)
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 13, 2020, 04:25:48 am
We should decide how to categorize shaders that produce rocky surfaces. Do you think rock-like shaders should go in "Rocks" or should they go in the "Shaders, Materials" section? My thinking is that the Rocks section should be used for not just rock objects but also rocky displacements, i.e. anything that can take a smooth terrain and make it look like it's covered in rocks. If you're a Terragen user and you want to add rocks to your scene, you might not know (or care) whether it's better to use a population of rock objects or attach some displacement shaders to the planet. If that's the case, it would be useful to have both of these options in the Rocks sub-board. Using the same logic, procedural terrain shaders go in Terrains, not Shaders/Materials. What do you all think?
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: N-drju on May 13, 2020, 05:08:21 am
Quote from: Matt on May 13, 2020, 04:25:48 amWe should decide how to categorize shaders that produce rocky surfaces. Do you think rock-like shaders should go in "Rocks" or should they go in the "Shaders, Materials" section? My thinking is that the Rocks section should be used for not just rock objects but also rocky displacements, i.e. anything that can take a smooth terrain and make it look like it's covered in rocks. If you're a Terragen user and you want to add rocks to your scene, you might not know (or care) whether it's better to use a population of rock objects or attach some displacement shaders to the planet. If that's the case, it would be useful to have both of these options in the Rocks sub-board. Using the same logic, procedural terrain shaders go in Terrains, not Shaders/Materials. What do you all think?

I think this is a good reasoning considering that, for example, a simple shape shader is a tool in cloud generation. The sub-boards should indeed reflect the effect of a node or operation rather than an underlying principle behind the effect.

I admit some files got me confused though... Like Ben's "Angle from a reference vector". In essence, it is a function-based node network but there is no single board that I could definitely assign it to. I placed it under the "Planets" section, because it probably has the most use in orbit shots. Analogically, sboerner's "Bending a simple shape" has landed in the "Shaders, Materials" board.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: WAS on May 13, 2020, 02:16:35 pm
Functions should go to the function section maybe, under Function Sharing or generic "Functions". Or a Functions sub under file sharing 

I do think rock stuff should maybe have it's own home. I was unsure whether terrain or shaders, but I opted for shaders since many were supposed to be drop in
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 13, 2020, 11:38:13 pm
There is a Rocks section already, but perhaps it was overlooked.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: luvsmuzik on May 14, 2020, 02:58:46 pm
New section.....Famous Rock formations used by luvsmuzik......includes....Dunes Rockface I & II, Overhang Strata, mhaze Columnar Rock, Rock Study, foam for posting, slightly toxic waterhole......then...subsection for WAS, Tangled Universe, Pablo Mac....Hetzen....

I personally put my rock formations with procedural terrain clip files but that is probably wrong.

Just let me know where they are.... ;D

I took the liberty and moved a few donations by me and did not leave a move notification message as per instructions...they are rocks and vegetation adds...
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 15, 2020, 11:06:59 pm
I have added two new sub-sections to File Sharing:

- General: Use this for anything that doesn't fit well into the other categories
- Archive (Broken Links): If you find a topic where all the links are broken, move it to the Archive (Broken Links) section.
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: Matt on May 17, 2020, 03:09:18 pm
Thank you, everyone who's been moving topics to organize the File Sharing section.

Especially a huge thank you to @luvsmuzik, who has tested many links and moved literally hundreds of topics in the last few days. Thank you so much!
Title: Re: New Forum Structure for File Sharing
Post by: luvsmuzik on May 17, 2020, 08:58:26 pm
Hope the organizer mode wasn't too much, LOL....
We could use a roads or pathway section and maybe a surreal abstract arty section (julia fractals, bricks, oreos, eggs, brains....I find!) 
I am pausing for the dust to clear and will continue moving files after the shock wave settles. If you are active, please guide me specifically or DIY.....I need no grief and you have been asked nicely to participate. Thank you all very much for loving Terragen as much as I do.  :)