Another shrub tested

Started by Dune, March 02, 2017, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 06, 2017, 02:02:31 AM
SSS and strata would be an option indeed, but I wanted more 'sophisticated' stairs with a stone railing and some pillars on the railing. Though with some (a lot) of ingenuity that would perhaps even be possible with SSS's. That would be a nice challenge.

Gotcha, having seen the most recent one..must have missed the painting you were basing this on...time to review...

having just reviewed the past I concur with luvsmuzik, raising the sun a touch might do it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, it's not that important to mimic the painting, and I kind of like the dark stairs area (conceals the ugly grasses that grow out of that rocky wall  ;)). It might also be more natural this way. But I could try. I've now made a hill object (LW then Zbrush) to match the stairs, which is easier to use than reseeding pf's. Perhaps some big ferns would be nice to add.... we'll see.

fleetwood

Very nice renders. Also really enjoyed seeing some of your works in oil. Thanks for the chance to see them.

Tangled-Universe

Liking the last ones Ulco :)
4 hours rendertime...that's not too bad at all.
I hope you will eventually render it all clean and crisp!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 07, 2017, 12:06:23 PM
Well, it's not that important to mimic the painting, and I kind of like the dark stairs area (conceals the ugly grasses that grow out of that rocky wall  ;)). It might also be more natural this way. But I could try. I've now made a hill object (LW then Zbrush) to match the stairs, which is easier to use than reseeding pf's. Perhaps some big ferns would be nice to add.... we'll see.

You are the real artist in this conversation, the rest of us are dabblers so follow your own lead man...I never fail to sit stunned by your finished work.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 07, 2017, 04:50:06 PM
Quote from: Dune on March 07, 2017, 12:06:23 PM

You are the real artist in this conversation, the rest of us are dabblers so follow your own lead man...I never fail to sit stunned by your finished work.

Oh we all agree on that! You said something about the lighting being hard, off, whatever.....Being free thinkers, we just speak up in pure admiration for sure.

Dune

I made this small hill in Lightwave, fitting the stairs, then worked it out in ZBrush. It's pretty decent. The UV-bumpmap can also be used to plant greenery in the cavities.
One thing that eludes me is why a pop on an object will give rows of plants if you angle the pop at say 30-60ยบ. With vertical area it's normal again.

luvsmuzik

You are saying your displacement function image is your density mask?....cool!

Nice job on the objects!

dorianvan

-Dorian

bobbystahr

Hmmm, never had that happen Ulco...keep us posted as to a fix in case we do though...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Dune

No, I think that has to do with the source object not being centred? You can get these circled pops. But I haven't reread the whole thread.

I changed the front walkway, and added some new ferns. Replaced ivy leaves to get another species. I might do another one as I don't like the very far trees. Two statues are scans by Benjamin Bardou for his intriguing film Gloria Victis: https://benjaminbardou.myportfolio.com/gloria-victis I greatly appreciate his generosity in sharing (he knows this).

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 09, 2017, 01:50:37 AM
No, I think that has to do with the source object not being centred? You can get these circled pops. But I haven't reread the whole thread.

I changed the front walkway, and added some new ferns. Replaced ivy leaves to get another species. I might do another one as I don't like the very far trees. Two statues are scans by Benjamin Bardou for his intriguing film Gloria Victis: https://benjaminbardou.myportfolio.com/gloria-victis I greatly appreciate his generosity in sharing (he knows this).

seems a number of his scans got decimated and used at SketchFab, I recognized a few from the 25 we all got.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New