improvement suggestion

Started by PeterParker, November 21, 2010, 08:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterParker

Hello to everyone,

i would like to make an improvement suggestion:

What about a RESUME RENDER function?

Everybody knows the problem. When you render things it can take ages till they finished.
But when you run out of steam to wait for the result just run it next day at the point where you finished the rendering.
This means Resume Rendering a function also known in the 3 D Programm Vue.

Maybe this is a very good improvement for Terragen 2

Whats your opinion

Best Regards

Peter

Tangled-Universe

This has been discussed quite often already, see the search results on this for instance.
Shortly summarized the reason it still isn't available is because it is very difficult to incorporate it into the renderer due to its nature of design.
This doesn't clear things up, but only Matt could explain exactly why.
My guess for instance would be that the GI calculations are likely to differ, so one must find a way to store this cache.

IMO, there's not a desperate need for it at the moment, since TG2 renders pretty fast.
Unless you have a very complicated scene or use extreme render settings which are likely totally unnecessary.
Unfortunately the latter is the reason most of the times people have such long rendertimes.
In general you should be able to render a high def picture <10h in reasonable to good quality on a average spec'd machine.

Martin

PeterParker

Thank you for your opinion

Regards

Peter

dhavalmistry

I would like to make another suggestion. Not sure if this has been discussed already but I would really like a button that will turn the values of each setting to its default value.

I hope PeterParker dont mind me spamming his thread.
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Goms

dhavalmistry, I don't think this would be handy. You could do this for a whole node; which would be the same as just adding a new one. Or per value, which would lead to hundreds of more buttons. Also, a global button is already there,- just select file->new. ;)
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

goldfarb

revert to default is an idea I support...
and you don't need more buttons - you could have one button on the node or just a menu entry 'revert selected node to default'
or have the default setting listed in the documentation - or in the help popup
and for parameters use a right click menu 'revert parameter to default'
Houdini uses these methods and not having it is a bummer.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Walli

rightclick on parameter->reset to default. Nice thing to have I think.

j meyer

Yup,reset to default would be a good feature,definitely!