Terrain color varying with height

Started by Anthony Appleyard, December 21, 2014, 07:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Appleyard

Here the land surface is all green (for grass). I have been playing about with the node network, and trying to find what I need in the wiki-type manual, but I can't find what I want to know :: I want the terrain's color to be IF altitude at that point > water level THEN green ELSE grey. This seems to need some tweaking with the node network, including perhaps inserting arithmetic nodes, but what? If that information is in the wiki manual or in any of the tutorials, then please where is it? If someone could tweak lake_00.tgd (attached zipped) to make the lake's bed grey, and attach the result to his answer, then that would give me a useful start.

Is there anywhere a set of simple .tgd files ilistrating various uses of color and land shape node network setups?

What is "clamping"? E.g. in a distance shader is "Clamp far colour" and "Clamp near colour".

Kadri

There is a file sharing section in the forum.Have you seen it Anthony?

Anthony Appleyard

Quote from: Kadri on December 21, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

There is a file sharing section in the forum.Have you seen it Anthony?

I have looked through it. But, please simply, what must I do to my node network to make the land green above water level and grey below? I have tried several variations of combinations after looking at other people's .tgd files, and none have worked.

Kadri

Have a look at this very basic example.

Kadri

This is only to see how it works.
You can plug the Power fractal nodes to the child input of the nearby surface layers and change the according parts too.
There are many more-different possibilities but if you change the colours to realistic ones you will see how it works better i think.

Anthony Appleyard

Quote from: Kadri on December 21, 2014, 11:14:04 AM
This is only to see how it works.
You can plug the Power fractal nodes to the child input of the nearby surface layers and change the according parts too.
There are many more-different possibilities but if you change the colours to realistic ones you will see how it works better i think.

Thanks. It is very useful.

Please, is there anywhere a detailed text manual that states in detail, for each possible sort of Terragen network node, what mode each parameter must be and what that node does with its parameters and what that node's output is, like e.g. the function descriptions in the Poser 10 Python reference manual?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Anthony Appleyard on December 21, 2014, 11:49:06 AM

Please, is there anywhere a detailed text manual that states in detail, for each possible sort of Terragen network node, what mode each parameter must be and what that node does with its parameters and what that node's output is, like e.g. the function descriptions in the Poser 10 Python reference manual?

Just what's at the WIKI....I find the node view overly complicated for creating and at the start mainly used the list view on the left for most stuff. AA bit less powerful for some stuff but way simpler for a lot of folks. The Blue nodes even scare away some old timers.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

I don't know Poser but maybe you will find some things here,if you haven't seen it by now of course:

http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

There below is a "Terragen 3 Node Reference" part for example.

Here are some things too:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/board,6.0.html

There are many things but don't expect to find everything there. Feel free to ask :)

Oshyan

It sounds like you want a way to "link" the water surface with adjustments to a surface layer's height limits. I'm not aware of a way to do that at present, but it's simple enough just to set the altitude limits of your surface layer (or distribution shader) the same as your water level (Lake object, presumably). Some complications may arise as you get further away from the coordinate origin due to planet curvature, and you also need to be mindful of the "fuzzy zone" parameters; if you want a fairly hard line near the shore, you'll need to reduce Fuzzy Zone significantly for your altitude constraint(s).

As for a "complete reference of every possible sort of Terragen network", I'm afraid that's not practical. There are literally billions of possible combinations. We have an in-progress node reference and other documentation that does a pretty good job of giving you a rundown of the settings for each node, as well as some information on data flow and node network handling. The node network connections are limitless so it's necessarily up to each person to determine how best to assemble the nodes for their intended effects, based on a knowledge of node settings, network connection functionality, and data flow. We still have some work to do to improve some of those areas of the documentation, but the basics are certainly there at this point.

- Oshyan

Anthony Appleyard

Quote from: Oshyan on December 21, 2014, 10:18:40 PM
It sounds like you want a way to "link" the water surface with adjustments to a surface layer's height limits. ...

Thanks.

If water level is at p meters, and the wave height is set to q meters, does the resulting Terragen varying water level vary between p and p+q meters, or what?

Quote from: Oshyan on December 21, 2014, 10:18:40 PM
As for a "complete reference of every possible sort of Terragen network", I'm afraid that's not practical. There are literally billions of possible combinations....

Sorry. I was looking for a definition of each individual sort of node. Thanks.

Dune

No between p+0.5*q and p-0.5*q. Unless you use a displacement shader and use color information to displace waves (so not from within the water shader).