oculus user agreement privacy policy

Started by TheBadger, April 05, 2016, 07:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

From breitbart

Quote...The company's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, however, are not so exciting to consumers. Here are three of the creepiest and most questionable discoveries found within the documents.

1. The Oculus Rift is always on, and it's watching and collecting your data.
When you install the headset, a program entitled "OVRServer_x64.exe" is implanted with it. The software has full system permissions, never turns off, and frequently sends data back to Facebook, everyone's favorite authoritarian social network that also happens to own the Oculus Rift. To make matters worse, it also states in the Privacy Policy that any data collected can be stored, shared, and used to market specific things to you by working with their Facebook counterparts. Similar to the Microsoft Kinect, which was always on and could watch and listen to you constantly, we don't know what sort of data the Rift will be collecting, or when.

2. The Oculus Rift wants to share your data with their Facebook 'family'.
"We may share information within the family of related companies that are legally part of the same group of companies that Oculus is part of, or that become part of that group, such as Facebook," states a section within the Oculus Rift Privacy Policy. Doesn't that sound appealing? Because if there was anything we all wanted more of, it was Facebook harvesting our information. Related companies are not just confined to Facebook, however, and with a list of currently eleven related companies (with the possibility of new ones being added at any time), your information is not just to be shared with Facebook for marketing purposes.

3. The Oculus Rift wants to own your creative content.
Anything creative that's made with the device automatically belongs to Oculus Rift, or at least partially according to the Terms of Service's User Content section.

Though the Rift does "not claim any ownership rights in or to your User Content" unless otherwise specified, they do have written rights to be able to "use, copy, display, store, adapt, publicly perform and distribute such User Content in connection with the Services." By signing the Terms of Service when you use the device, you also grant the company full permission to sublicense this ability to anyone of their choosing...
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

I have a policy that any money I pay to Oculus for one of their rift products will still belong to me. At some unpredictable time, that money will suddenly disappear from their bank account and find its way back into mine. If Oculus forgets to sign the vendor seller agreement then my money will take many more dollars with them as they leave.

;)

TheBadger

I still have my DK, which had no such policy that I ever saw anything of, so Suckerberg can indeed suck it. I will hold off on updating until gen 2 of the head sets and then go with another company. Or more preferable, the entire industry and community very loudly and publicly start telling that piece of shit, pandering, fascist tool to also suck theirs.

I think sony may have a better conscience these days about privacy and property rights regarding content ;) hmmmm, now that would be funny, if liberty owes a debt to North F-ing Korea :o

;D It truly is one fucked up world we live in. Augmented reality can't get here fast enough.

edit.
I just had a revelation of what my first VR game will be! The player will take on the roll of a hell demon, and spend eternity shoving ever larger pineapples up the ass of the founder of Facebook.

ITs not  pretty in terms of graphics, but if you like doom, you'll love it.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

The door to dis illusionment(izzat a werd)open for me....I'll wait for a less tyrannical head set to appear.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

This is ridiculous! F... the Rift in this case. Hope some other company will come up with a usable head set that will be designed for having fun and not to collect data for the CIA or something.

It is like the software industry. Like 15 years ago games were written to have fun. They were not photo realistic for sure but pretty much everybody were able to run them on their general home PC. These days if I want to play a new game I have to buy a new PC every 6 months or something.  The old programmers had to be clever to make sure the game will run on the 386 also. These days if the program is slow well buy Intels latest stuff for another 1000 bucks! Most probably the game developers getting some share from Intel to make sure things are running slow so people will buy the new cpu hehe...!!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd