Translate all to point zero

Started by Kadri, April 19, 2016, 01:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Matt is there a way to make a super translate node or a similar feature to make the place where the camera is as point zero?

When we are away from the default 0,0,0 place it gets difficult to handle.
In the VR challenge i made a mistake to use the second planet for plants for example and even some basic things like populating became hard to do. The plants populated inverted for example.   

Even in an one planet setup when we are far away from the default zero point the camera is harder to use.
With such a feature we could make the place anywhere we are more easier to handle.
All settings would be as expected for the camera.
Or no need to use negative numbers to bring objects higher from the ground for example.
All translations could be handled inside Terragen without any visible change in the node values for the user.

You can cheat a double planet setup or similar thing of course, by just swapping the planet nodes but the problem is still there.
Don't know if this easy or hard to do, or how many users would like such a thing.

And guys even if Matt says this is not doable (looks complicated to me actually) just don't forget this :
Because you can use Terragen in a planetary scale you might be tended to use other planets for some things.
Try to stay always near point zero so much you can. Use whatever cheat you know, but stay there. You are warned  ;D

TheBadger

QuoteTry to stay always near point zero so much you can. Use whatever cheat you know, but stay there. You are warned

I thought this was not much of a problem these days. are you saying that it is more of a problem when thinking about VR, or the same problem?

Anyway, I remember that I had issues in TG2, and learned to stay put then. But from that I remember that there were conversations about how the situation was better in TG3, but don't recall the details now.

At any point I have learned to try and make the terrain do what I want at the 000 rather than moving the camera to find a nice spot, so that was a good development for me in learning anyway. Though for some reason, there is always a nicer place just beyond where you want it to be :-\
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I am getting old Michael. So there might be a better way :)
But say you are making a flight for a long distance and ended up at the equator.
The camera use gets complicated.
Not sure if there is a better way.

This is an image as i tried to populate the second planet with plants.
The plants are upside down. Took me hours until i found the easy explanation.

[attachimg=1]

Dune

What if you rotate the plant object by the angle the planet is at that point? I used a X=180º for some grass and rotation set at minus1-2 for grass to cover a roof and still use its 360º rotation for variation.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 20, 2016, 02:52:22 AM
What if you rotate the plant object by the angle the planet is at that point? I used a X=180º for some grass and rotation set at minus1-2 for grass to cover a roof and still use its 360º rotation for variation.

Yes you can overcome that Ulco. It is just that everything changes on another planet.
Think about slope restriction too for example.

Dune

Yeah, you're right. Staying home is the best option  ;)