harbour 1100 AD

Started by Dune, May 26, 2015, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

You could work as an separate image even on this only.Nice :)

mhaze

Hannes

Hi, y'all! Yes, I'm back from a wonderful vacation! The people were so warm and friendly. I really hope that there will be a way to keep the lives of these wonderful people safe.
Wonderful details, Ulco. Looking forward to the final result.

Για μας!!! (Cheers!)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on July 16, 2015, 05:48:53 AM
Hi, y'all! Yes, I'm back from a wonderful vacation! The people were so warm and friendly. I really hope that there will be a way to keep the lives of these wonderful people safe.
Wonderful details, Ulco. Looking forward to the final result.

Για μας!!! (Cheers!)

Agree, I have many Greek pals here in Winnipeg and they're really worried from not being there and only hearing on the news re: what's happening there. Glad you had a nice time and I'm sure you met some cool folks there.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Quote from: Dune on July 15, 2015, 01:53:00 AM
...roofs just don't look that straight any longer because I changed some very straight lines in the texture, and greyed it a bit....

No matter what method used (though it's nice that you shared the details) the result looks really good. Of course it could be improved further by having some roofs in various stages of disrepair (example: http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20110115/House-Thatched-Roof-1757289.jpg), but that's just detail.

Dune

Thanks Otakar. I can do a lot in post (and I will), but they're also interested in animation, so I'll do as much as possible in TG. Smoke from (between) the houses will be another challenge. They didn't have chimneys in that time, but sometimes just holes (portholes) in the roof. Still have to figure out how to do that; possible a set of procedural dots, or a mask, then warp the columns.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2015, 02:34:14 AM
They didn't have chimneys in that time, but sometimes just holes (portholes) in the roof. Still have to figure out how to do that; possible a set of procedural dots, or a mask, then warp the columns.

Sounds like you've already sussed that out.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Antoine

Very realistic works !

Dune

This may be getting boring, but here's another small update. Spend yesterday making an ancient windmill (and a shipwreck). This very small crop (at final size) took a mere 2 hours! At 0.5/4, without even soft shadows or soft reflections. So I am dreading the whole thing.
Up to make some guys sawing wood now... and a sailor for this ship.... etc....

Hannes

Impressing! The wood looks very realistic.
Isn't the thing the mill stands on a bit unstable? It looks as if it could fall over easily. Just my first impression.
Can't wait to see the whole thing.

archonforest

Beautiful work!
That wind mill looks crazy. Who had the idea to build something like that? I mean in the history...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Boring? never man, not ever...always interesting.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

fleetwood

Very natural looking image.
This is not meant as a criticism at all, it has me wondering how commonly the people of that time put effort into preserving their hard work in constructing wooden windmills and boats with paints or pitch.

zaxxon

Ulco, as usual you continue to set new standards, even for yourself! I wonder if the Planetside team ever envisioned such possibilties for the software as these wonderful historical illustrations? Truly remarkable work! Like Fleetwood though, I have wondered about all the 'bare' wood.

Dune

Thanks for your kind words. And you got me thinking. I really don't know about paint, but I guess the people weren't as rich as we are nowadays, so didn't paint their stuff for the beauty of it. I can imagine though they tarred wood, or used natural preservatives (like the red stuff in Sweden). I'll pose some questions. It would be nice to have some colors, I agree.
I was also wondering about the pile of beams as a foot, and considered replacing it by a 'tripodlike'beam structure.

Made a horserider today, but I still need a saddle. More work to be done...

By the way, a quick test of the shipwreck.