The last watering hole

Started by yossam, June 25, 2016, 11:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 27, 2016, 10:45:26 AM
The only problem is................there is no glass shader for the lamps. It is just luminosity. I tried a glass shader.............looked like crap due to the atmosphere settings. I had a little round ball of light in the center of each lamp after adding the source lights.................visible object was not checked. Go figure............been spending a lot of time going back to the drawing board lately.  :'(

If you have Deep Exploration there's a function I use to split the geometry up. Use it often to get my glass.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

yossam

Here is a low res render.............now I have light leaks from the pub mesh.  ???

j meyer

As for the luminosity I had that happening in earlier TG versions. Sometimes
the light effect was there and the next time it wasn't. Never found a solution
and stopped experimenting back then. Nowadays - another computer and an-
other TG version - I haven't seen that problem again, but there are other, errh,
inconsistencies. Unpredictable bleeding and so on. No cure so far.
So from my experience luminosity is rather unreliable.

yossam

I agree wholeheartedly.............. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 27, 2016, 12:54:58 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.............. :)

Indeed, If I can't use a real light I pass as well...though it's sometimes useful in my stained glass renders in the glass colours as it makes them pop nicely though.  And is predictable in those situations.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

Got halfway lucky............. ???

Jo Kariboo

I like your last render, seems very well done.

Personally I would do another render of the first picture without architecture. I find it very difficult to replicate this type of light at that time of day, most of it emerges from the forest a very mysterious feeling.

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 27, 2016, 01:41:09 PM
Got halfway lucky............. ???

Now that works quite well...Like it...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Final is great! Did you just change the resolution or I wondered if your wood trim might have had a reflective surface, grabbing your stars? Anyway its great!

Oshyan

Luminosity relies on GI, which is pseudo-random. You need high settings (GI Cache Detail and Sample Quality) to get more consistent results. Additionally, if you are using GISD, it is dependent on pixel values, so if you increase resolution, the area of GISD effect goes down proportionally speaking! (because it is defined in pixels) So you should increase your GISD pixel values as you increase resolution if you want the outcome to be the same as a lower resolution image.

- Oshyan

yossam

Oshyan,

I went up on the pixel values to 35 in the last render............didn't try cache detail and sample quality. Like I said b4..............spending too much time going back to the drawing board. Thanks for the info.........tired of it right now, will revisit.  :)

DocCharly65

Very nice last render!

May I make a suggestion? Only what I would do with my crazy brain...  ;)

I would
place a simple tube with thin wall close around every lantern on the bridge. Render settings invisible but casting shadows ON.
place four little light sources around every lantern a bit outside of its tube.

The light sources will shine on the bridge for a nice light effect.
The tube will prevent the lantern being lit by the light sources so they keep their own luminosity.

Just an idea...

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 28, 2016, 11:14:59 AM
Very nice last render!

May I make a suggestion? Only what I would do with my crazy brain...  ;)

I would
place a simple tube with thin wall close around every lantern on the bridge. Render settings invisible but casting shadows ON.
place four little light sources around every lantern a bit outside of its tube.

The light sources will shine on the bridge for a nice light effect.
The tube will prevent the lantern being lit by the light sources so they keep their own luminosity.

Just an idea...

Not bad....will remember this idea for future reeference
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

I tried some really high settings for GISD................8,8,8 for prepass and 2,8,100 for the image pass. The cache took 2.5 hours to render and weighed in at 1.75 Gig. Final render was a little over an hour. I'm still gonna try Docs' suggestion after taking a small break from this scene...........I think it just might be the answer to my problems. No post on the render except for the conversion to 8 bit.  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: yossam on June 28, 2016, 10:57:38 PM
I tried some really high settings for GISD................8,8,8 for prepass and 2,8,100 for the image pass. The cache took 2.5 hours to render and weighed in at 1.75 Gig. Final render was a little over an hour. I'm still gonna try Docs' suggestion after taking a small break from this scene...........I think it just might be the answer to my problems. No post on the render except for the conversion to 8 bit.  ;)

A  bit expensive time-wise but a much improved render of a deserving image.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New