Maximum Quadcore Xeon CPU Pin Compatibe with Socket 711 and Intel 5000X Chipset

Started by Cyber-Angel, April 04, 2008, 02:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

I am looking to buy a new dual CPU system (CPU's that will come with the system are Socket 711 compatible Dual Intel X5355 Clovertown Quadcore Xeon [2.66GHz, 4MB L2, 1333) and the chipset on the main-board is the Intel 5000X.

I have some questions:

1. Is the Clovertown setup listed above a good system when paired with 8GB of DDR2 SDRAM FBD at 667MHz EEC?

2. If the Clovertown listed above is not the fastest in its Quadcore class what is the chip with the fastest clock speed that is both pin compatible with socket 711 and with the Intel 5000X Chipset?

3. If the Clovertown has been surpassed by a generation or more which of that generation (if any) of 64bit Quadcore processors are rated as pin compatible with Socket 711 and the Intel 5000X Chipset?

Thank you for any assistance and guidance you may provide in this regard.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

Oshyan

First, in answer to your questions:

1: Yes, of course this would be a "good system". The "best" system? No, but then that also depends on how much money you are willing to spend. You can always get something better. Personally I prefer to go for best price/performance ratio. In this case in fact buying a simple Core 2 Quad (*not* Xeon) is really the best bang for your buck. Especially since Nehalem is coming. So I'd wait, if you need an upgrade now buy a quad or a cheap Core 2 Duo, and see what Nehalem brings.

2: The max speed quad Xeon available rightnow is 3.16Ghz I believe, though this is Harpertown and LGA 771, not Socket 771. Not sure why you're tied to Socket 771 though. Harpertown is going to be less power hungry at equivalent clock so it's worth going for if possible. Otherwise the fastest Clovertown is 3.0Ghz, but uses 120W vs. the Harpertown equivalent's 80W for the same speed.

3: Harpertown is LGA 771. Not sure if it's compatible with 5000x. Do you already have a motherboard?

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

The intended workstation that I intend to buy is the highest I can afford to go within the budget I have for a new system, the specifications for the said workstation say that the chip set is the Intel 5000x set and it uses socket 711 and the mainboard can handle dual CPU's so two quad core chips give me 8 cores (2 X 4 Cores) which when combined with 8 GB of 667MHz EEC DDR2 SDRAM FBD memory (The Board can have up to 64GB) should give me the over head I need without running into a wall while rendering.

My question really related to what was the maximum supported processor that was pin for pin compatible with the socket on the mainboard and the chip set for comparison the processors coming with the system are dual 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 1333 Intel Quad Core X5355 Processors. I am really thinking about future proofing my  system and investment buy having a processor upgrade in future as money allows.

Now I know that TG2 dose not make use of Graphics Cards other than Open GL Preview Rendering but this workstation I have coming with come with Dual Nvidia 768MB (SLI Configured) Quadro FX 4600 Graphics cards so there should plenty of horse power there.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel