Water in the Create River heightfield?

Started by jritchie777, May 31, 2010, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jritchie777

I seem to be running into a problem which I thought would be easy.  I've created a river using the heightfield function and then created a water shader and plugged it into the heightfield shader where the make river plugs into.  I have water in the river but it looks bad.  It just seems to be a thin layer of shading using the water.  It would have been nice to have a checkbox or something on the make river to fill it with water, but I did not see any such setting.  How can I get a realistic fill of water in the carved river?

I've tried other inputs as well -- at least ones that I could plug the water shader into, with no success either.

Thanks,
JR

TheBlackHole

You need to ditch your current water shader. In your heightfield river, you'll need to create a Lake object so it fills the depressions in the ground from the Create River node.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

jritchie777

Can't seem to link the Lake output to anything dealing with the Heightfield.  I get this symbol I've never seen before - 3 arrows in a circle, i guess depicting some sort of cyclic redundancy I guess...

jritchie777

Just using the lake to fill in seems to give just as bad results - any hints as to another path?
No matter how deep I make the lake object there always seems to be spill over on the banks as well.

TheBlackHole

See just how deep you can get the heightfield river. Then try adjusting the Lake depth.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Henry Blewer

I make the river operator cut the path at one altitude. It's a tricky operator because it updates before you get the inputs how you want them.
Anyway, keeping the river at one altitude makes things easier. Just add a plane object where the camera looks. Change/break connection to the default shader. Add the water shader. Things should work out after that.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jritchie777

Thanks for the input, my river started at one altitude then ended at a lower.  Much easier to fill in now that it is all one altitude.  Thanks!
JR