MOLA map shader

Started by rolland1013, June 02, 2010, 07:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Terragen and I'm trying to justify my request to purchase the software by my company.  I've gone thru a few of the tutorials and I've gotten stuck on the MOLA map shader.  I've downloaded all the .img files that the shader needs (I think as I don't get the error messages anymore).  But I still don't see anything other then the normal default planet terrain.  Can anyone help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I'm on the evaluation version of the software.  So I don't know if that in and of itself is an issue. 

Thanks in advance,

N.

Oshyan

The free version will load terrain just like the registered version will. The MOLA shader will georeference your loaded Mars terrain, so you won't necessarily see the terrain with any given camera perspective. You'll need to get an overview of the terrain by zooming out. Do you have the hang of the camera controls yet?

- Oshyan

rolland1013

Quote from: Oshyan on June 03, 2010, 03:02:08 AM
The free version will load terrain just like the registered version will. The MOLA shader will georeference your loaded Mars terrain, so you won't necessarily see the terrain with any given camera perspective. You'll need to get an overview of the terrain by zooming out. Do you have the hang of the camera controls yet?

- Oshyan

Hi Oshyan,

Yeah I have a pretty good hang of the camera controls.  Not too different from Maya's controls.  I've attached an output of a render of what's suppose to be Mars.  I've also attached a couple of pics of the shader window and node layout.  I thought I was doing everything the correct way.  I had just finished the "Create your first scene" tutorial.  What I would like to do is something similar to that Mars pullout shot that's on your website.

Thanks.

Oshyan

Well, a couple of things seem to be potential culprits. First, it's been a while since I used this node, but in most cases when you specify an image file name you need to specify a specific file rather than just a directory. Do you get any file loading errors in the errors and warnings window? It's possible it's reading all the data in that directory and tiling it, which I believe the node is capable of, but I think normally that's done by specifying one image of a set, and it will load the rest. I'm not sure that specifying just the folder works.

Also the 128MB data is higher resolution than you'll probably need from orbit, and you'll need more of the files (and thus more memory) to cover the entire planet. You might try starting with the megt016 data (32MB) instead, at least at first.

- Oshyan