Image map shader not cooperating

Started by Alpha Centurion, June 21, 2010, 11:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha Centurion

Hi guys,

I'm creating a scene of a cloudy planet, viewed from above the atmosphere. The surface will not be visible, but the clouds will be, and they are the main focus of the image. I have added an image map shader of a hurricane, and it is looking fugly.

To begin with, the image map does not follow the planetary curvature, so I have changed the projection type and it is still not working. I've attached some screenies that might help you, helping me. What could be wrong? Secondly, naahh, nevermind. A solution to the first problem is enough... :)

I am quite new to terragen, so please keep any solution simple to follow.

/Thank you, for reading this.

Kevin F

If I understand you correctly, you need to project the image through a camera (call it projection cam) and then view/render it via a separate camera. All assuming you have the image projected to the right place and at the correct size of course!

Alpha Centurion

Thanks for the reply!

I think I did what you told me, but I can't get it to work. Could you help me? I've attached the file to the message.

Henry Blewer

Change the projection camera by assigning the Render Camera. Copy the planet's location and paste in into the location of the image map, then click on the position center circle. Last try different projection types if this one does not work.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Quote from: Alpha Centurion on June 22, 2010, 11:01:54 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I think I did what you told me, but I can't get it to work. Could you help me? I've attached the file to the message.

Without the image file it's not much use.

Alpha Centurion

Quote from: Kevin F on June 22, 2010, 04:33:39 PM
Without the image file it's not much use.

I attached it to this message. No work has been done on it yet, I just wanna get the basics down first, before I do some work on the image map. Thank you for your assistance.

Quote from: njeneb on June 22, 2010, 02:02:33 PM
Change the projection camera by assigning the Render Camera. Copy the planet's location and paste in into the location of the image map, then click on the position center circle. Last try different projection types if this one does not work.

I tried that, but couldn't get anything satisfying out of it.

Henry Blewer

I don't quite know what to do if that does not work. Perhaps a cloud layer for total planet coverage. Then a separate cloud layer which uses the Blend By Shader input at the bottom of the dialog window. The Blend By Shader would use the image map of the hurricane for its cloud formation.

Largent

I have a .tgd (unfortunately saved on a computer other than this one right now) that I can upload soon. Its a hurricane scene using an image map shader. In theory you can just use those exact settings with some minor adjustments to size and position for your image.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Largent on June 25, 2010, 12:24:10 AM
I have a .tgd (unfortunately saved on a computer other than this one right now) that I can upload soon. Its a hurricane scene using an image map shader. In theory you can just use those exact settings with some minor adjustments to size and position for your image.

that would be nice...I as well have struggled with this.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Henry Blewer

Look for files shared by Schmeerlap. John uses image maps very often. They may offer a direction at the least.

TheBlackHole

There. Now you can just worry about Terragen; the image map's been adjusted.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?