Oloneo

Started by domdib, July 22, 2010, 05:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Quote from: Oshyan on July 22, 2010, 03:28:12 AM
The reference picture is not 2 sun angles, rather it is HDR tone mapped. You can do this with newer versions of Photoshop, or with Photomatix, or perhaps best of all with the new free beta of Oloneo Photo Engine: http://www.oloneo.com/

Then just feed it an EXR file and play with some tone mapping.

- Oshyan

One slight problem - I downloaded the beta, but I didn't see an option to open EXR files - did I miss something?

choronr

Did you e-mail them about this?

choronr

Quote from: domdib on July 22, 2010, 05:07:45 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on July 22, 2010, 03:28:12 AM
The reference picture is not 2 sun angles, rather it is HDR tone mapped. You can do this with newer versions of Photoshop, or with Photomatix, or perhaps best of all with the new free beta of Oloneo Photo Engine: http://www.oloneo.com/

Then just feed it an EXR file and play with some tone mapping.

- Oshyan

One slight problem - I downloaded the beta, but I didn't see an option to open EXR files - did I miss something?

Hi domdib,

I extracted this from the Oloneo site:

File support, input

* Full Color Profile support for imported image
    * Export Color Profile and bit depth:
    * sRGB 8/16-bit
    * Adobe RGB 8/16-bit
    * ProPhoto RGB 8/16-bit
    * Low dynamic image files (input):
    * Jpeg
    * 8-bit Tiff
    * 16-bit Tiff
    * Most Raw Photo formats (over 300 cameras supported)
    * DNG
    * High dynamic image files (input):
    * Radiance
    * OpenEXR*

File support, output

* Full Color Profile support for exported image
    * Low dynamic image files (output):
    * Jpeg
    * 8-bit Tiff
    * 16-bit Tiff
    * High dynamic image files (output):
    * Radiance*
    * OpenEXR*

* File formats not supported in first beta (subscribe to newsletter to get the update)

Bob

domdib

Thanks for researching this Bob - so we'll have to wait a bit to see how it performs.

choronr

Quote from: domdib on July 23, 2010, 05:36:51 AM
Thanks for researching this Bob - so we'll have to wait a bit to see how it performs.
I would suggest subscribing to their newsletter ...they could be close.

Oshyan

Ah, sorry about that. Didn't see the "not supported in beta". So here's the alternative: save out the EXR, open it in Photoshop or some other editor that can give adjust exposure levels properly, and then save out several versions to something like TIFF and bring it into Oloneo as an image stack to create an HDR. The tricky part is finding/having/getting an app to do the re-exposure, one that supports EXR.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 24, 2010, 01:47:52 AM
Ah, sorry about that. Didn't see the "not supported in beta". So here's the alternative: save out the EXR, open it in Photoshop or some other editor that can give adjust exposure levels properly, and then save out several versions to something like TIFF and bring it into Oloneo as an image stack to create an HDR. The tricky part is finding/having/getting an app to do the re-exposure, one that supports EXR.

- Oshyan
Thank you Oshyan. I have PS 6; hopefully it will work. I have made two TG2 versions (Canyonlands): one with sun at 7 degrees; one with sun at 4 degrees. I'll render each and save them as .exr files; open them in PS and check the exposures to see if they adjustment - then, save them as .tif files. I have not yet downloaded Oloneo. I hope two images would be sufficient. You suggested several images, I thought only two would be sufficient to depict a brighter terrain and a darker atmosphere.

Bob 

domdib

PS 6 will work Bob (it's what I use), but only if you have the plug-in available from http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html

choronr

Quote from: domdib on July 24, 2010, 03:01:32 AM
PS 6 will work Bob (it's what I use), but only if you have the plug-in available from http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html
Thanks domdib. What is the name of the plug-in?

domdib

Near the bottom of the page:

OpenEXR Photoshop plugin for Win32:
OpenEXR_Photoshop-1.2.1.Win.zip

OpenEXR Photoshop plugin for OS X:
OpenEXR_Photoshop-1.2.1.Mac.sit

Unpack, and then put the plug-in in your Plug-ins folder in Photoshop 6

choronr

Listed are the following plug-ins for PS - Do I need them all? I have a PC:

Plugins

OpenEXR Photoshop plugin source code:
   OpenEXR_Photoshop-1.2.1.Source.tar.gz

OpenEXR Photoshop plugin for Win32:
   OpenEXR_Photoshop-1.2.1.Win.zip

OpenEXR Photoshop plugin for OS X:
   OpenEXR_Photoshop-1.2.1.Mac.sit

OpenEXR Shake 3.x plugin source code:
   OpenEXR_Shake-1.0.1.tar.gz

domdib

No, just the Win32 one if you have Windows, or the OS X one if you have a Mac.

choronr

Quote from: domdib on July 24, 2010, 03:19:24 AM
No, just the Win32 one if you have Windows, or the OS X one if you have a Mac.
Thanks. I wondered about the 'source code' one.

choronr

Yesterday, I downloaded the plug-in for Photoshop from Lucas Films for HDR called 'OpenEXR for Photoshop 1.2.1' to be used with 'Oloneo' ...this is for HDR. I placed it in the Photoshop folder; but, when I try to find it when opening Photoshop, I can't find it ...what's up with this?

choronr

Ok, I think I have it all figured out and ready to try using Oloneo. First need to do two renders of the Canyonlands image; then, prepare the images in Photoshop in advance of the work in Oloneo. Thanks to all for your help,