Alpine or Perlin Billows Smoothing

Started by RRMessiah, July 29, 2010, 04:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRMessiah

Hello,

I'd like to feather or blur the extreme pointy edges/peaks that are created with the Alpine Fractal or an Inverse Perlin Billows shader, but I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried many approaches.

In the image, the background mountains essentially look like eroded alpine mountains. This is my visual target. Any help is appreciated!

p.s.: heightfields aren't really an option because I want to render long distances.

Henry Blewer

Try using the clamped variation instead of multi-fractal. Also decreasing the amount of roughness helps.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hannes

Holy cow, for exactly one second I thought that this is the most realistic TG-render I've seen so far. :-[

Hetzen

Quote from: RRMessiah on July 29, 2010, 04:32:11 PM
p.s.: heightfields aren't really an option because I want to render long distances.

Heightfields are an option.

What you can do is plug your global terrain into a 'heightfield generator', then export that for post processing. The working process goes...

Set up your fractals to get your general shape. Now plug that string into a 'heightfield generator' node in it's 'shader' input. Then right click on that node to export a heightfield. What this will do, is create a bitmap of what ever is being input, within the bounds of the 'heightfield generator' area. This you can post process, then blend back into your scene.

This is a pretty cool way of applying erosion from other packages into your fore/mid ground relief.

Goms

you could use the compute terrain node to smooth the fractals. just check "smooth terrain" or what its called in this node.

Another way is to build your fractal up yourself. i tried this once and it worked out good. the problem is you will have a huge amount of functions.
if you use the perlin noise function, you can just multiply it by 2, sutract one and use the abs scalar to get a billow perlin. the inverted billow perlin is a ridged perlin. ;)
if you build up your fractal like this, you can use the bias and gain nodes to get these fractals w/o sharp edges. i can try to put something together tomorrw when i'm back at my desktop.
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

airflamesred

Well with the fantastic quality of that render those little peaks are nothing to worry about. The grey cube would be my only concern. How do you get the rows of vegetables?

RRMessiah

Quote from: airflamesred on July 31, 2010, 05:42:04 PM
Well with the fantastic quality of that render those little peaks are nothing to worry about. The grey cube would be my only concern. How do you get the rows of vegetables?

You're kidding, right? :)

I worked for hours and hours on that cube...

reck

Quote from: airflamesred on July 31, 2010, 05:42:04 PM

There's not doubting the quality of the landscape but the clouds could do with some work. Also I think you should lose the cube as well  :D

RRMessiah

The image is a photo, but yes the clouds need work ;D

reck

Quote from: RRMessiah on August 02, 2010, 01:08:14 PM
The image is a photo, but yes the clouds need work ;D

Yes I know, just playing around with airflamesred. I assume he knows its a photo.

airflamesred

No I did fall for that one
My stupidity was fueled, to no small extent by that damned cube. That said, I'v no doubt that scene could be replicated in TG - and with a proper shed!

bobbystahr

Quote from: airflamesred on August 04, 2010, 09:05:48 PM
No I did fall for that one
My stupidity was fueled, to no small extent by that damned cube. That said, I'v no doubt that scene could be replicated in TG - and with a proper shed!
Had I not started with this post I might well have fallen for it as well...TG2 is just that good that we expect stuff like that...Woo Hoo
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist