unable to save

Started by bobbystahr, March 13, 2007, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

*****Help*****

In the beginning when I was at a crucial part of a scene I would first Save and give it a Name. Then as I worked after a decent adjustment I would Save  again. These files all load fine, but as time wore on I started getting nothing but the attached message whenever I tried to load a Saved project.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

dhavalmistry

I think you can open the tgd file with notepad and navigate to line 646 and see where the problem is...I have never encounteredsuch error before
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

As dhavalmistry said, there's something in the .tgd file that's not XML compliant on line 646.  Try opening up the .tgd in a text editor and looking for weird characters on line 646.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

jo

Hi,

Bobby, you can fix the file yourself like the others say. Open it in a text editor and see if there's something odd looking at line 646. You may find there are also other lines which have problems the next time you load the file. However, if you're not familiar with XML or having other trouble, please email me the file at:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

I'd be interested to see what the problem was. I fixed a file for someone the other day who was having a similar problem. What had happened in that case was that a path to an image had been messed up somehow, there was an extra quote in the path which was causing the problems.

Regards,

Jo

Dark Fire

I do hate it when things like that happen, and I'm the programmer that has to fix the problem... >:(

But, luckily, this time, I'm not the programmer who has to fix the problem... :D

You have my sympathies, Planetside team. Good luck with fixing your quote problem!

helentr

I don't know if it is related, but I was getting the same error (plus crashes) and I tracked it down to non ASCII characters in the file path or filename of a linked file (image shader) - but then I have Greek Windows.

Helen

jo

Hi Helen,

Quote from: helentr on March 14, 2007, 03:08:27 PM
I don't know if it is related, but I was getting the same error (plus crashes) and I tracked it down to non ASCII characters in the file path or filename of a linked file (image shader) - but then I have Greek Windows.

That turned out to be the problem with Bobby's tgd file too. There was a folder in the path of an image map shader image file which had non-ASCII characters. I'm not sure what the character was originally but it looked like it might have been a German one. Basically, at this time it seems to be safest to use only ASCII characters in any paths used in TG2. Strictly speaking I don't think we could say we supported non-English OSes at this point. It might be ok if you only use files created on the same language OS all the time, and the problems might only show up if you move files across languages, I'm not really sure. ASCII is the safest bet though. We do have plans to move to using UTF-8 throughout TG2 however, so we can support all languages - even if we don't get around to having other than an English localisation of the UI for a while.

Regards,

Jo

bobbystahr

Many thanks for all the help. As stated, Jo was able to figure out what was wrong. It was a small 'a' with an, I believe an umlat above it [a sidways colon]. Once I corrected the dir. name and went through all the .tgd's, they all loaded fine. Whew! Once again Thanks.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist