Unknown error in render thread!!!

Started by Andrew March, August 14, 2010, 02:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew March

22 bloody hours rendering a 1920x800 image and I wake up this morning to blacksquares everywhere and an error box as long as my arm saying 'unknown error in render thread' over and over and bloody over again.

You know I have managed to get ONE single usable image out of this poxy programme. I've been using Lightwave for ten years and Vue for seven years. What a piece of crap. I want a refund!

Oshyan

I'm sorry you're having problems. It sounds like a memory-related issue. Common culprits are unnecessarily high render settings, very complex scenes, or very high resolution renders (since Terragen 2 is not yet 64 bit). I'd be happy to look over your render settings if you'd like input on that.

If you'd like a refund, please contact registrations AT planetside.co.uk.

- Oshyan

FrankB

Quote from: Andrew March on August 14, 2010, 02:27:32 AM
22 bloody hours rendering a 1920x800 image and I wake up this morning to blacksquares everywhere and an error box as long as my arm saying 'unknown error in render thread' over and over and bloody over again.

You know I have managed to get ONE single usable image out of this poxy programme. I've been using Lightwave for ten years and Vue for seven years. What a piece of crap. I want a refund!

Hi Andrew, if I don't mistake you for someone else on this forum, I seem to recall that you have been struggling with render times for a long time now. Other than in exceptional circumstances, a 1980x800 render will not take 22 or more hours. This is most likely due to exaggerated settings in one or more places. Give yourself a little more time to understand TG2 a little better and you'll get past this point, and likely become a happy fellow terrageneer :)
I'd take Oshyan's offer to look over your settings if I were you.

Regards,
Frank

Andrew March

I am using one of the preset 'big atmo' scenes from NWDA, called after the rain. The only thing I have changed is the final render resolution.

I've started a completely new project from scratch except using the sample sun file in the file sharing section, I'm slowly adding bits to it from clouds to water to land and hopefully i will find the culprit. So far render time for 900x375 are 2mins 48secs with sky and clouds and very little by way of noise. I'm goingto keep going.

Frustration is not cool, especially when you're used to having complex Lightwave scenes render in less than 20 minutes.

If anything jumps out at me by way of an issue I'll post it here.

Thanks

Andrew March

Okay, now I'm getting some reasonable results in acceptable times.

900x375 with the clouds, water and landscape in approx 14.5mins.