Wood...

Started by dandelO, August 15, 2010, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Richard got my brain ticking earlier about some TG2 procedural wood, for an infestation problem he had recently.

Here's a couple of tests after a little fiddling. I'll probably make this into another shader pack selection, at some point.
Procedural wood textures could come in handy.

Woods 1, 2 and 3:
[attachimg=#]

Early days yet, I do plan on tuning, and making some more...

old_blaggard

The first and third look quite good. Nice job!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dandelO

Wood 4:
[attachimg=#]

Some variations of the previous and a couple of new flavours:
[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

More to come, I'll make a texture library...

Henry Blewer

I really like the wood ant. The textures are great.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

FrankB

Dune

Very nice, and well thought of! You can make a children's play environment with this. A huge, high reality 'blokkendoos'.

reck

dandelO strikes again!!

cyphyr

You got wood, hehe, he, hehe, he (Beavis n But Head referance  ;D )
Very good texture, I'll have a play when I get home.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

schmeerlap

Excellent work, and impressive effects.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

domdib

Looks very useful.

dandelO

Cheers, folks. I'll tinker with this for a while and make a shader set of lots of wood varieties. It can be a little tricksy, because of noise stretch directions, to get all-round compatibility with one shader. For instance, to texture a window frame with one shader could either look fine on the X/Z axis but wrongly stretched on the vertical areas or, vice-versa, know what I mean?

Anyway, they'll all be easily re-scalable and eventually(given that I can create an axis-rotation function), they should be fine in multi directions. I think that adding a small rotate function off to the side should mean that the main shader(XZ) gets plugged into the corresponding axis object parts and then the altered axis(Y) function would apply the same shader to the object parts that run vertically.

Oh well, some experimenting to do, I'll keep it as simple as possible, though...

otakar

Nice! I wonder how using such a procedural shader (group) compares to using a tileable image (render time, memory load). For anything not too up-close this should work quite well as far as results.

dandelO

Success!

[attachimg=#]

Only one wood shader applied to all objects. You can easily select what axis the grain will run on.

Otakar, there will be no visible tile borders at all and no repeating pattern, other than the fractal seeds used. I think it could be even better than image mapping in some cases. It's entirely colour and displacement shader based, if I was using an image map to lay a floor, I might not like the way the map is planned to the surface. I'd have to edit the map or, mess with different projections and such. I'd also need to use a very large map for decent resolution etc. Renders as fast as any other fractal colour shader does too.
With this, if I don't like a certain knot of wood beside another feature(say), I can generate a new seed in one click and it looks like I've been to the lumber yard and picked up an entirely new batch of wood, with a different woodstain if I didn't like that either.
I'm also pretty sure that I can make this into functionally alternating 'planks' (on a single surface, I mean), complete with joined seams/cracks between each 'plank'. I know it's possible, I just need to discover how, is all! :D