Ivy generator

Started by helentr, March 15, 2007, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake

I don't know if it something I'm doing wrong or what but
Ivy obj. seem very unstable when it comes to TG2.
Both "Tests" Revisited do NOT preform WeLL!!
If the Ivy obj. is in my FACE as in the 2nd test
As soon as I use the ALT Mouse to adjust camera,
TG2 Fails...

Work fine up until, I save... and revisit. Anyone else notice this?

rcallicotte

Mandrake, I've seen this with other objects.  If I get to close to the object and/or get close and make a rotation around it or move the camera for a good position when I'm very close to the object, TG2 just blips out.  I've noticed there's something about being too close to an object to increase the amount of RAM TG2 uses, which I think might have something to do with the RAM error messages we get in those circumstances.  It might just be that the object itself runs out of RAM on our computers and doesn't cache to disk. 

It seems like TG2 is having a difficult time with large object textures or increased amounts of RAM based upon object related events/materials/objects.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

king_tiger_666

@Mandrake I've found this problem too and seems to be linked to a image shader... since when i disabled the image shaders/ deleted them i could then pan around in the preview window
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

rcallicotte

...and the image shaders are related to an image...textures...and memory issues.

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on March 25, 2007, 09:03:08 AM
@Mandrake I've found this problem too and seems to be linked to a image shader... since when i disabled the image shaders/ deleted them i could then pan around in the preview window
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Costaud

A new textures pack from the creator of Ivy generator is now available with a short tutorial for Blender.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92010

old_blaggard

Thanks for pointing that out :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

can anyone please help me with this....

why am I getting white dots in ivy???...

TGD attached
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Harvey Birdman

It's the images you're using. I had a hell of a time with this myself. It seems alpha plane interpretation is pretty iffy with TG2. There is a new set of leaf textures available at the guy's web site. The textures included are jpeg, with the alpha plane split into a separate image. These work fine and avoid the whole alpha plane issue.

There is another issue with the generator that no-one here seems to have picked up on. The author seems to have trouble with his model orientation/vertex winding. With the original version of the program, models were incorrectly lit and I would have to click the 'flip normal' switch to get the seed to appear on the outside of models. The new version (1.3) of the program has corrected this - the same models now appear correctly lit and the seed appears on the outside, without having to click 'Flip Normals'. The models are still mirror-imaged, though - put ivy on the left side of a model in the generator, and any other program (PoseRay, TG2, MilkShape) will show it on the right side of the model.

This may also affect the orientation of the leaves, but I'm not certain of this. The author notes on his site that most of the images submitted to him have had the leaves pointing in the wrong direction. If you look at the original leaf textures, the leaves point to the left. All the images in the new texture set point to the right. Sure enough, if you use the original textures, the leaf tips point back along their stem, instead of in the direction the ivy is growing. I suspect that the author's model orientation problem tricked him into creating the first set of textures incorrectly, but I'm not sure he understands the real problem - after all, the generator is still rendering models backwards.

So use the new jpeg textures that contain a separate image for the alpha data and it should work.