Pahoehoe lava

Started by glen5700, August 16, 2010, 11:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen5700

Hi all,
I had done some work in the past with XSI and lava so I thought it would be fun in Terragen, bellow is a couple of teaser pics showing what I have done so far.

The second pic the lava is in the shadows as you can see there is luminosity in the lava colors. The lava basic noise is (Fractalized voronoi) but this is only good for a pool of lava. Next I want to use some warp shaders for flowing lava. I plan on bring down some clouds and using them as smoke, we will see how that goes.

Glen

P.S. I have to give riche credit - you got me thinking about this  :)

jbest

This is very nice! If you look at real lava pictures you can see that there is quite a bit of black in it. You did well in copying that.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

domdib

Henry Blewer

The first image is the better of two really well done images. Nice. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

glen5700

Yea, I totally agree the first image is the better one, the second one there is no interaction between the lava and the terrain - that is something I will be working on.

Glen

dandelO

That's amazing looking lava, Glen!
I was trying to make some lava recently and I thought, at the time, that my red-stuff looked good but my black-stuff looked horrible.
I was wrong on one of these observations! ::)

You've nailed it with both.
If you had free rendering time to spare(and a great .tgd, like the first image shows) I'd disable the GI strength in atmosphere in the envirolight node for a big speed increase, lower the sun so it's very dark and render with huge GI detail settings 4/4 maybe. The glow should speak for itself and light up the whole surface nicely.

Excellent, I love the spattering effect.

cbest

Yeah, looks a lot like real lava! Better than I could do  :D!
Terragen: the universe in 56 kilobytes.

glen5700

Thanks guys!!

dandelO, I had some thoughts about that but wasn't sure on how to approach it, thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.

Glen

glen5700

Ok folks,
Here is a work in progress of some glowing lava, the scene is from a young solar system so there's more work to do - mainly on the moon.

Glen

riche

Quote from: glen5700 on August 16, 2010, 11:33:35 PM
P.S. I have to give riche credit - you got me thinking about this  :)

Amazing picture, i'm still learning how to do stuff on Terragen, but if I can give other people inspiration, then that make me feel part of the community :D

once again amazing picture

Regards

RichE
SelloString.com - Holding the world together.

Seth

Hetzen

Your lava texture in the first image is the star. Looks really good. Unfortunately, you now have to get your other textures to work with it. The last two images look wrong. You've lost the blacks in the last, although your channel displacements are pretty awesome. You might have to put in some extra lights here to make it look good.

glen5700

Thanks for the comments!!

Hetzen,
I totally agree and that's what I'm fighting right now, I did put another sun to light the lava but maybe I will try adding a fill light.

Glen