.Max to .obj Conversion Issue

Started by AweSaum, September 04, 2010, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AweSaum

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to 3D modeling, and I've been trying to convert a .max file I downloaded to something TG2 can work with (.obj I figure is the best bet).

I downloaded a demo of 3D Studio Max so I could export the file to another format, and my initial attempt to export as an .obj directly in 3DS did not come out great (granted, I don't really know how to use that program).

I searched the forum and saw the suggestion to use PoseRay, so then I tried exporting to .3DS (I figure that since this is by the same company exporting to that format will work better), but I got an error stating that there were too many faces in 3D Studio Max. I figured that meant that I should try and split up the file into multiple pieces, export to 3DS, convert in PoseRay, and then import in TG2, but that seems like it would be pretty complicated. :D

How do you propose that I convert my .max file to .obj? I would appreciate any help you can give me. I've been a lurker in these forums for a bit, and I just wanted to say that I'm impressed by how knowledgeable and friendly you all are! The community here seems to be quite strong. :)

airflamesred

AweSaum

I believe it's 722,264 polygons and 732,824 vertices?

airflamesred

Well that is big! What on earth is it? I feel you may have to split it, if a heavyweight like max is struggling........

AweSaum

It's actually just a tree.  :o

Any suggestions on how I might go about splitting it up? Also, how exactly would I piece them back together? Would I just import a bunch of different objects in TG2 and try to transform them to the right position?

airflamesred

Well thats gonna be rather difficult to split and piece back together. I don't really have a good solution other than take a look at xfrog or TGO trees here.
Or try and reduce the poly count in max - sounds like a lot of detail

MGebhart

AweSaum,

If you want to email me the MAX file I'll take a look at it and see if I can do something to it. I have been using 3D Studio since the DOS days so, I know a few tricks.
Marc Gebhart