L'ascensiO Finale (or, v.3)

Started by dandelO, September 12, 2010, 09:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Eez beeg wan, no?

The climbers are still a bit too big for real scale but if I make them any smaller they're even less perceptible.

[attachimg=#]

Cheers! :)

Henry Blewer

Art is subjective. Since this is art... The climbers are fine. Looks really good. Maybe higher contrast would help?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Nice one DandelO :)
As Henry said a little level - contrast kind of post would be good ( if you are not after this kind of haze effect of course ).
Can you scale art ...ooops! ...hmm ! ....  I mean there isn't any problem with the scale ; not for me at least ;)

schmeerlap

See, eez mucho grande; heh . . . eez mucho meestee . . . . noh, hombre?

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

airflamesred

Could I sugest a hi-viz jacket or a backpack with a contrasting colour

dandelO

I'd never normally leave a render so misty and washed out but, I kind of liked it here. It is a bit much, though.
There was also a ski-lodge and buildings on the top near the highest climbers, I thought better of them because the last lodge should probably be some distance below the summit.
I'm making some adjustments, anyhow. I quite like this POV.

domdib

Yes, a little less hazy would be good, and airflamesred's suggestion would make the climbers stand out a little more. But the scale is very nice.

jbest

Haha if you hadn't said there were climbers I might not even have noticed them!

Great work here DandelO.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

dandelO

I made a fairly better scene out of this one, I think.

[attachimg=#]

Thanks for looking! :)

airflamesred

Now the haze has cleared it looks better. Did you use any soft shadow? I can't decide whether seeing the top adds to the sense of scale or not. Nice, engaging image

RArcher

Very nice, the mountain texture totally looks painted.  Now you just need some ski trails from the climbers coming back down.

Kadri

Yes it looks like a painting! Nice  :)

dandelO

Cheers, folks. :)

I like the rock shaders but the mountain could still use some small displacements, the corners and edges are too smoothly rounded. I didn't touch the atmosphere, except to raise samples and add a very little bit of 'fake dark power'. The camera settings were where the blue atmo' glow was being exploited before, a bit too much! ;)

I might do a terrain pass render with some added small features and do some post work work with that, I can't be bothered doing another full render, since adding the cloud layers and increasing atmosphere samples has roughly tripled the render time over the first image in this post but I've already intrigued myself over some other things to play with just now.

Right, ta!

*Edit: Yes, I used default soft shadows.

dandelO

Got a final render of this running now, without a plastic mountain and more cloud samples. I've had a go rendering out layer masks and terrain passes and I have decided that a full final render will be better than anything I can comp' together, my 2D skills aren't too great and I couldn't create anything better than an actual render of the complete scene.

Probably post it tomorrow because I'll need to do a little touching up as I'm facing some 'hot-pixel' problems with the snow layer...

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

Here's the last one, then;

[attachimg=#]

I did some optimizing so, it was over a third quicker than the previous one, with the plastic mountain. There's a bit less cloud grain now and the mountain has a better surface displacement, I think.

Cheers, again! :)