Red Dead Terragen V2, final on page 4 hooray

Started by FrankB, September 13, 2010, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Looks very interesting - thanks Frank!

FrankB

just can't get this to work with object that have parts shaders.

It works with TGO's that are stored in the old way, with the multi shader.

At tleast that's my suspicion. Well, I can't even say it's not working with parts shader, but all render threads throw render bucket errors right after the GI pre-pass.

Strange. Can anyone get this to work with a TGO that has parts shaders?

Thanks,
Frank

Dune

Hey man, that's too bad. I was just opening a bottle of bubblies. I'll have a look at the tgc.....

dandelO

Great, simple method, Frank.

The only way I can make it work the way you'd like is to feed the actual 'parts shader' into the merge, instead of the object parts. There were also lots of render bucket warnings with everything I've tried inside, too.

Still, I'm not convinced it's impossible, though... Try duplicating the entire parts shader, only, inside of the secondary one, you could give the textures you don't want to touch with colour variation = no opacity, make them invisible. Then, merge mode = colour/add...

Maybe.

Hetzen

I'd originally used a bmp, but uploaded a jpg, so you need to direct the image map shader to it.

I've used an add node after the parts shader, and different sizes of the same bitmap which is tileable. I haven't looked too closely to see if this affects the alpha.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

It works, Frank! All procedural. :)

The image shows the inside of the second parts shader in the new view window. I used Walli's noble one low poly version to test it.
I tried the same seed in the perlin as the population uses to see if it could be per-instance variation, it didn't work for this quick test but, then again, I didn't scale the perlin function to the size of a tree, hmmm...

Cool! 8)

dandelO

Just to double check I got a bit closer to the trunks, all the trunk/branch shaders(and leaf alpha) is still intact and visible in the output.
I used the greyscale leaf in the colour channel and used the colour picker to apply colours according to that, instead of the coloured leaf image.

Hetzen

Great work Martin. I was looking for your thread when I was having a go. I'd forgotten about Dune's work. Hrm, going to have to nick this.

Dune

It's easy enough with a tile and a camera, but this would be much better, especially if you can work on the fractals as well. Didn't have time to check things out, so you keep working on it...

FrankB

To be honest guys, I was really only interested in a procedural solution. I'm glad I found the "trick". I couldn't be bothered to potentially go back to a paint program and redo the image map when e.g. the colors weren't so great, or distirbution wasn't ideal.. the procedural solution gives me the flexibility I really want for this.

The only drawback is that from a workflow perspective, this feels more like a hack than an integrated solution to the problem, especially when you have many parts shaders you need to adjust per object.

Thanks for looking into this Martin. I'll check this out later in the day.

Cheers,
Frank

Dune

I'm here to save you guys with the complete procedural setup  ;D

Check this out. Frank's idea to use the perlin+get position got me thinking again, but it was used on the wrong level. And copying the parts shaders and such is a bit too much trouble and gets complicated.
So here it is, some items on the planetary level, others inside the object. From these images, you'll see how it works. The link color adjust to surface shader is just to test its appearance, by the way.

I don't mind using image maps myself as this gives more flexibility IMHO, but for the 'procedural freaks' (  ;) ) this is great.

---Dune

FrankB

dandelO

Fabulous, Ulco!

Just think, a couple of years ago and this was all but a dream... "Multi-coloured populations? Pffft, no way!"
Now, just look at the many different approaches that have been uncovered!(that have actually all been possible all along)

Sometimes, you just can't see the colour-varied woods for the trees! :D

Kadri

Fractal Team at work ! Very nice guys. Thanks  :)