procedural population variation

Started by Dune, September 24, 2010, 09:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Quote from: Hetzen on September 25, 2010, 07:10:16 PMCould you tell me how to make the smooth step linear?
Hi Jon,
my first thought is to use a conditional node and the Mod scalar.
You use first the Mod scalar to get the ramp(s) from 0 to 1. Then you can use the conditional scalar ... wait ... maybe it is easier this way ...
You want a range from 500 to 800 so you do a clamp of this range. After this you use a subtract scalar, where the value of 500 is subtracted. The result of this gets a mod scalar of 300 (Difference of 500 and 800 might be more convenient)
Quote from: dandelO on September 25, 2010, 05:52:44 PM
I'd like to know more of the functions, to be able to make the perlins more pretty but this is all good practice. :P
See the attached screenshot

Volker Harun

Well, Jon, ...
you were faster and better .... I have not thought of the Divide scalar at the end ... :)

Hetzen

We seem to be skinning the same cat at the same time with different sheers. Lol

dandelO

I just figured it was a good way to make a perlin more fluid. Sorry for causing a ruckuss! :D

Hetzen

Nothing of the sort. I've just had a major face palm moment on a project I've been working on for ages. ;D

So thanks.

dandelO

Quote from: Hetzen on September 25, 2010, 07:32:16 PM
We seem to be skinning the same cat at the same time with different sheers. Lol

Some poor guys are simply picking up that poor cat's pieces behind you. ;)

Hetzen

Thing is, anyone who uses this program pretty much blind, is a pioneer, and as Volker said in another thread, we should all learn off each other.

Volker Harun

Quote from: dandelO on September 25, 2010, 07:51:58 PM
I just figured it was a good way to make a perlin more fluid. Sorry for causing a ruckuss! :D
Well, as I do not quite understand the term ruckuss, I post the next Screenshot ... even if not necessary ;)

Volker Harun

Quote from: Hetzen on September 25, 2010, 08:03:45 PM
Thing is, anyone who uses this program pretty much blind, is a pioneer, and as Volker said in another thread, we should all learn off each other.
When Efflux and me were digging deeper into those functions, at least me did not really knew what he did.
When I look at one of those old scene files ... I wonder how they worked .. I try solve the knots in the node network ... find nodes that are disconnected, delete them, and the image does not render anymore ...
That was really a fluid perlin work ... with ups and downs ... and I kept any step of progress in the scene files ;) LOL ;) Just to have it handy.

But one thing for sure, I learned how to play with this stuff ... there is a german term which means literally: Playing is better than studying ;)

And even if we are going a bit off topic here, I think it is really an advantage for all of us to follow this thread and to play, discover and learn.

Cheeeers :)

Volker Harun

Did any of you has ever tried the 'Get position in texture' ... because this is the most global Get-node imho.

dandelO

Quote from: Volker Harun on September 25, 2010, 08:04:24 PM

Well, as I do not quite understand the term ruckuss, I post the next Screenshot ... even if not necessary ;)
I'd have just stuck a warp shader in there and been done with it, Volker! ;)

Great stuff, all of this!

Hetzen

I agree completely Volker. This thread is a gem at the moment. But I do think it should be kept back on topic for future reference.

I'd like to suggest we start another on function noise patterns. I've got one you might like to have a look at.

Volker Harun

Quote from: dandelO on September 25, 2010, 08:19:03 PM
]I'd have just stuck a warp shader in there and been done with it, Volker! ;)
A Warpy :)
One of those mysteries I have not understood ... it works ... but I do not know why and where to activate the displacement and so on ...

End off OffTopic

Volker Harun

Quote from: Hetzen on September 25, 2010, 08:20:26 PM
I agree completely Volker. This thread is a gem at the moment. But I do think it should be kept back on topic for future reference.

I'd like to suggest we start another on function noise patterns. I've got one you might like to have a look at.
As long as you find a good topic for the thread I might join ... (there is some french Merlot making me type nonsense) :D

Dune

Back to basics. Volker's perlin 3D setup is a nice way to get a bit smoother variation and not the harsh gradients when you use just one perlin 3D. That's why I've stacked a couple and played with the mergers, and an adjust color. But it's hard to get a nice 'real' fractal variation, and for such we would indeed need a 'fixer' such as the simple shape shader, where basic coordinates can be given to a node which accepts a stack of PF's, which at that point are set at this reference. Maybe that's not to hard for Matt, Jo, or Oshyan to implement (?).

If normal PF's work globally on a Mac perhaps these gentlemen also know what is the difference between the Mac and Win version?

QuoteBut on the other hand it seems strange that with perlin noise the coverage
     of the surface layer is working (the green is visible) and when it is set to
     ridges just the original color (orange) is visible.

@ jmeyer: how can you set a perlin 3D to ridges? I presume you used a red PF instead, and then the global reference doesn't work anymore and you'd get the normal color for your objects.

@ Martin: Why would you put your tgc (which I'm about to have a look at) inside the object? If you put it on the global workspace it is easier to address it, e.g. draw a line to a test surface color input and see what it does on ground.

If you attach the tgc to a surface layer between the default and simple shader, you can add whatever color you want, or even luminosity or displacement. If you attach it to the color input of the default you'd only get variation of the basic color.

I used to use a camera and image map shader tp project color variation onto a pop, but as I now found out (and it's obvious actually) it will color the leaves of a tree in a line downward. For grass that's no problem but for trees it is not always very nice. So now I prefer this method, if only we could get a more PF like variation....

Long story so far, but now for a render I did yesterday with my stack (the first tgc)

---Dune