Twist function?

Started by TheBlackHole, September 26, 2010, 01:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

I'm trying to make a galaxy in TG2 and I need a way to twist the cloud fractal shader. As in, something like Photoshop's Twirl filter. Can anyone help with this?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Dune

You'd need a warp shader or (use a power fractal as clouds, with) warp checked, and experiment with that.

Volker Harun

A year ago I was searching google for functions to draw spirals ... but I cannot find it anymore. Nonetheless I was able to get them working in TG2, but have not saved it :(
You can use a cloud fractal, multiply with the spiral function.

If you find this function, you can tell me via PM, so we can build this together.

Cheers,
Volker

mogn

The secret: Rotate the x-axis according to the distance, and bandpass the x-axis.

Volker Harun

Quote from: mogn on September 27, 2010, 09:14:21 AM
The secret: Rotate the x-axis according to the distance, and bandpass the x-axis.
Can I be your Padawan???

Hetzen

Quote from: mogn on September 27, 2010, 09:14:21 AM

Hi Mogn,

I've got to say that I've never learnt about vectors, so don't really understand trigonometry too well. But how would you get the radius of your spiral to expand exponentially out, rather than having a constant distance from the previous ring.

Hetzen

It's a thread I've visited a few times, but the spiral has the same width between rings all the way. I was wondering how you could get the width between the rings to increase the further you get away from it's centre, rather than it being fixed, like a vortex or galaxy.

j meyer

Sorry Hetzen,thought there was something about that in this thread,too.
Let's wait for mogn then.

Volker Harun

@Hetzen, You could use a square scalar between the Divide Scalar and the trig functions.

dandelO

Mogn to the rescue, once again! I love to see your solutions, this is great!

QuoteYou could use a square scalar between the Divide Scalar and the trig functions.

And Volker, brilliant!

Slowly, oh so slowly, these little posts are all building up to become the first letter in the word 'understanding', for me!
Keep posting, you lot. Thanks! :P

TheBlackHole

Could I have a tgc of your spiral function, mogn?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Hetzen

Great stuff Volker and Mogn. I'm not sure how you can warp PFs with this function yet, just playing around with it now.

@Blackhole, Mogn's posted the node diagram above, you just need to put a Sqr Root funtion between the Divide and Cos/Sin nodes.

You can also stick a clamp scaler instead of the hard step nodes to get a thicker ring.

Volker Harun

Quote from: Hetzen on September 27, 2010, 03:45:38 PM
Great stuff Volker and Mogn. I'm not sure how you can warp PFs with this function yet, just playing around with it now.

You cannot quite drive a powerfractal with it, unless you have a height sensitive conditional scalar and a smooth step afterwards ...
For the question in this thread you will not need it, as the cloud layer already has this height range built in.
So, just multiply this function's output with the cloud fractal .... everything else is done with Matt's built in stuff ;)

Quote from: Hetzen on September 27, 2010, 03:45:38 PM
You can also stick a clamp scaler instead of the hard step nodes to get a thicker ring.
Or you might want to use a smooth step scalar to get ... something smooth!?!?

,-) Salam, Volker

Hetzen

Just doodling. Needs loads of work, but wanted to see what anyone could do with driving this function into a couple of perlins.