Computer Question

Started by michigan_1112, March 17, 2007, 12:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michigan_1112

Thought I would ask the experts before I buy ;)

I am looking at a new computer with these specs - Pentium D processor 820 w/ dual core
4GB dual channel DDR2 at 667MHz, with a 160GB hard drive. I have already purchased a ATI FireGL V3400
Graphics card to put in it.
Being an old man who likes to tinker, but knows very little about what works well together...could someone give me an opinion on this setup.

Also, when I install T2 on this system do I need to un-install it from the old computer first - License question.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for all the answered questions in this forum...it has been a big help ;D.

Jim

MeltingIce

I would recommend getting an Intel Core 2 Duo processor instead of an Intel Pentium D.  I think you will find it to be much faster and better overall.  Thats plenty of RAM and hard drive space.  I don't think you would need a workstation video card however.  Workstation cards are for professional 3d modelers who do a lot of high polygon modeling.  I would recommend something like an ATI Radeon X1600 card: http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1600/index.html

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

RedSquare

So each component of a render farm doesn't need a video card?  'cause his license does permit TG2 use on up to 5 on a farm. I think.

MeltingIce

Terragen 2, and most other 3D rendering applications, don't use video cards to render scenes.  All the rendering is done via CPU, not the video card.  The only rendering program that comes to mind that can use the video card to render is mentalray, and perhaps POVRay.

RedSquare

:-[ :-[  Live and learn, live and learn.

michigan_1112

Well, based  on what MeltingIce said, I found this...

Intel Core 2 Duo - 64 bit Dual Core Processor, front side bus 1066MHz
4GB PC2-4200 DDR2
320 GB 7200RPM SATA Hard drive

Amazing thing about this is, its $300.00 less. :o

Thanks for the advice.

king_tiger_666

meltingice you can never ever have enough hard drive space.... my terragens at least 8-10gb ter,models etc for terragen and its only a hobby for me.. considering that xfrogs plants are up to 60mb objs and some models i have are up to 70mb you can see why. ter files about 32mb 4000x4000

and i would go with a core duo seeing how it performs on the tg2 benchmark, and its only going to get better once its optimized for dual core
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

MeltingIce

Yea, I'm liking those specs a lot more and I think you will too  ;)
And I agree with you on harddrive space.  I have 2 external hard drives (420GB total) and 2 internal hard drives (120GB total) and I'm starting to fill them all up  :P

king_tiger_666

yeah just wait until seagates 1tb drives are launched ;D ;D ;D
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Dark Fire

You don't need a huge hard drive if you manage your data efficiently.

michigan_1112

I like the price. I had a $1,500 budget (My wife holds the wallet), so I am throwing in a 22" viewsonic too. ;D

Thanks again for all the help. I'm going to be on pins and needles until it gets here. ;) Then I'll have to break out the bib!!!

DiscoBall

Quote from: michigan_1112 on March 17, 2007, 05:51:37 PM

4GB PC2-4200 DDR2

Thanks for the advice.

Ah...all I can say is..WOW! $300 for a dual core processor, 4 GIGABYTES of DDR2! Ram and a 320 gb SATA Hard drive!

....That is..like..cheap beyond belief..lol
But then again, it may be currency issues...

Moose

Quote from: michigan_1112 on March 17, 2007, 05:51:37 PM

4GB PC2-4200 DDR2

Thanks for the advice.

How soon do you need to upgrade? And when will your next upgrade be after this one (a few years?)?

Just asking because I see that intel Quad cores might soon be having price cuts of up to 70% (down from $851 to $266) - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/16/intel_quad_core_price_cut_answered/ :). When TG2 gets the multi-thread treatment, 4 cores are gonna make your smile twice as wide as two, so it might serve you better holding off on buying until the price cuts come in... assuming you can wait that long, that is. If you're going to be stuck with your next system for a few years, I could see myself waiting a few months before upgrading to really make it pay off. As is usual with upgrading, the best price is always just around the corner if you can wait for it, but in this case I think it's different because of the two extra cores for free.

Just my feelings on things...

:)

Dark Fire

Why bother waiting for quad-core? Why not just get a load of dual-core processors in a single PC? That would be awesome...

michigan_1112

Discoball, The total cost is $1,200.  I found it at www.newegg.com. They seem to have some pretty good deals.

Moose, my way of thinking is that if I don't jump at the chance now, I may not have the chance later. My wife, bless her heart, does not like to spend money. She likes to save it for a rainy day, and she loves to see me do a rain dance.
I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully, I will have this chance again when the quad cores come down. Maybe I'll take some dancing lessons  ;)

Thanks again.

Jim