Autumn Ornaments

Started by choronr, September 28, 2010, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

After some great constructive criticisms of my image 'GetaWay', I decided to make some changes to it. I removed the Log Cabin (not that I didn't like it - it is a very good model and will use it again in another scene). Also, I removed the clouds;  relocated the sun;  adjusted the water settings; and, added some additional models - these are:

•   Marc McGebhardt's  Liriope plant in population via Painted shader available at Planetside.
•   Three individual Hot air balloon models - one by Greg; one by Dave; and, the other by an unknown modeler. All available at Planetside.
•   Used 'dandelO's' clip file for procedural grass - a great addition for most landscape scenes and available at Planetside.

The other models are listed under the image 'GetaWay' ...enjoy.

Bob

dandelO

Very nice, Bob!

I notice there are no speckled stones in this one, did you track down why it happened on the last image you posted, you thought it was from the grass. These look to be much the same stone setup as that one. I'd like to know where I went wrong, to eradicate the issue if I come across it myself.

Looks good, some visible blades even appear to look curved in this shot. :)

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on September 28, 2010, 06:08:50 PM
Very nice, Bob!

I notice there are no speckled stones in this one, did you track down why it happened on the last image you posted, you thought it was from the grass. These look to be much the same stone setup as that one. I'd like to know where I went wrong, to eradicate the issue if I come across it myself.

Looks good, some visible blades even appear to look curved in this shot. :)
Hello Martin and thank you. I'm puzzled as to why the speckles appeared on the last image. In addition to your procedural glass, I also used your fake stones file which you posted some time ago for both this abd the last image. If you like, I will post both .tgd files to show the variations. I don't think your files had anything to do with the speckling of the stones - probably something I screwed up.

Bob

Naoo

Hi Bob

I love this image,
but miss a bit wet stones.

ciao
Naoo

Walli

the colors are great and the balloons come out really well. Stones were mentioned. I would add a personal point, but that might well be just me ;-) I have difficulties understanding why there such a dense strip of trees, but then in the back there´s just empty grasslands. I know this really might happen, but somehow it feels strange to me. But thats just a small point

Dune

Well, maybe higher up the soil is too dry for trees, but I too would disperse some smaller shrub and an occasional tree there. The image is great, though, very wide feel to it. I also second Naoo; a bit of wetness in between/over the stones/mud...
The grass clip does its work excellently, at first I thought it was object based. Perfect!

domdib

schmeerlap

An excellent photoreal scene, Bob.
From the thumbnail I thought that was an upside-down pear hanging from the tree; just me being obtuse.  ;)
Tree deployment is good for me, but one or two lone trees near the skyline would be even better.
And, yes, I agree with reflective shader applied to riverside stones.
Also, bottom left where dandellO's procedural grass nears the camera, a wee pop of object grass clumps interspersed would be good.
But, great scene as is.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

choronr

Thank you all ...just when I thought it was finished. Great, great critique. I have felt that the right side of the image was too open and incomplete - now, back to the drawing board ...thanks again.

freelancah

You have a wonderful mood here..Love the balloons too!

inkydigit

Quote from: choronr on September 29, 2010, 01:57:04 PM
Thank you all ...just when I thought it was finished. Great, great critique. I have felt that the right side of the image was too open and incomplete - now, back to the drawing board ...thanks again.
it is always the way Bob!
beautiful scene, a few more tweaks and this woill be superb!

choronr

This image was reworked and finalized based on several very good critiques with suggestions from both the Planetside forums and Terranuts. The changes/additions made were as follows:

•   Moved the yellow balloon to the right and up to fill what appeared to be too empty of a void.
•   Some said that there should be some additional populations of the trees on the distant hills - these were added.
•   Some had suggested that some reflectivity be added to the shoreline rocks. This was done; but the brightness was toned down quite a bit.
•   Finally, a small population of Walli's DNW flower was added to the lower left.

Render settings are as follows:

•   Size: 1780x1113.
•   Ratio: 1.6
•   Detail: 0.9
•   GI: 2/3
•   Pixel filter: Mitchell-Netravali
•   AA bloom: checked
•   Render time: 54.08.06 ...yikes!!

Bob

inkydigit

beautiful, Bob, super improved version!

Naoo

Volker Harun

I agree with Naoo :) ... Small changes to a very balanced eye-pleasing image.