The real State of the Union !

Started by penang, September 29, 2010, 03:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penang

#1 The United States has lost approximately 42,400 factories since 2001.  About 75 percent of those factories employed over 500 people when they were still in operation.

#2 Dell Inc., one of America's largest manufacturers of computers, has announced plans to dramatically expand its operations in China with an investment of over $100 billion over the next decade.

#3 Dell has announced that it will be closing its last large U.S. manufacturing facility in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in November.  Approximately 900 jobs will be lost.

#4 In 2008, 1.2 billion cellphones were sold worldwide.  So how many of them were manufactured inside the United States?  Zero.

#5 According to a new study conducted by the Economic Policy Institute, if the U.S. trade deficit with China continues to increase at its current rate, the U.S. economy will lose over half a million jobs this year alone.

#6 As of the end of July, the U.S. trade deficit with China had risen 18 percent compared to the same time period a year ago.

#7 The United States has lost a total of about 5.5 million manufacturing jobs since October 2000.

#8 According to Tax Notes, between 1999 and 2008 employment at the foreign affiliates of U.S. parent companies increased an astounding 30 percent to 10.1 million. During that exact same time period, U.S. employment at American multinational corporations declined 8 percent to 21.1 million.

#9 In 1959, manufacturing represented 28 percent of U.S. economic output.  In 2008, it represented 11.5 percent.

#10 Ford Motor Company recently announced the closure of a factory that produces the Ford Ranger in St. Paul, Minnesota. Approximately 750 good paying middle class jobs are going to be lost because making Ford Rangers in Minnesota does not fit in with Ford's new "global" manufacturing strategy.

#11 As of the end of 2009, less than 12 million Americans worked in manufacturing.  The last time less than 12 million Americans were employed in manufacturing was in 1941.

#12 In the United States today, consumption accounts for 70 percent of GDP. Of this 70 percent, over half is spent on services.

#13 The United States has lost a whopping 32 percent of its manufacturing jobs since the year 2000.

#14 In 2001, the United States ranked fourth in the world in per capita broadband Internet use.  Today it ranks 15th.

#15 Manufacturing employment in the U.S. computer industry is actually lower in 2010 than it was in 1975.

#16 Printed circuit boards are used in tens of thousands of different products.  Asia now produces 84 percent of them worldwide.

#17 The United States spends approximately $3.90 on Chinese goods for every $1 that the Chinese spend on goods from the United States.

#18 One prominent economist is projecting that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2040.

#19 The U.S. Census Bureau says that 43.6 million Americans are now living in poverty and according to them that is the highest number of poor Americans in the 51 years that records have been kept.

dandelO

Oh, how very third-world the USA has become! I do feel sorry for those poor people over there!
We're no better in Europe, either.
As for all the $million figures... As if any of those digits exist in the physical! Don't make me laugh.

Here's to capitalism! Without it we are/have/can do nothing! Bunch of greedy c****!

The West is in real trouble and not financially, we have evolved into a race of the most pathetic specimen on the planet, can you cultivate your weekly food and keep the fields going year-long? I cannot. Can anyone here tell me the time of day by simply looking to the surrounding bushes or sky? I cannot. Can you slaughter a cow? I cannot. Make a water vessel, birth without a hospital, manufacture my family's garments for warmth... I cannot.

I'll bet, though, nearly everyone could tell me when the football game starts, what time Tesco closes, how much a Snickers and a Coke 'costs', when Eastenders comes on TV. Pathetic.

Consider the way of the World, how life evolves generation over generation. Survival of the fittest, natural selection. Ask yourselves, who is really 'The Strong' that will survive when all we life-of-plenty Westerners are forced to fend for ourselves? Me or, Umbadawe, who's little family have done it for time immemorial? I wouldn't bet on me, that's for sure!

dandelO

gregsandor

>can you cultivate your weekly food and keep the fields going year-long?
Yes

>Can anyone here tell me the time of day by simply looking to the surrounding bushes or sky?
Yes

>Can you slaughter a cow?
Probably, never tried

>Make a water vessel
Yes

>birth without a hospital
Probably, never tried

>manufacture my family's garments for warmth
Yes

dandelO

Well, Greg, you're sorted. I'm f*cked!

Those are only examples, I'd love to see the majority of the inhabitants of my fantastic country go up against The Real Life. Piss myself!

*Edit: Where will you buy a cow?

Kadri

Penang , why do you post this here where many user are outside from the USA ?
Should we sorry about these things like you were to the Haitians who suffered an earthquake(sarcasm) ?
(I am sorry for anyone who have any kind of problem money or whatnot , just for the record!)

What should say a user from China ?

I am angry to me that i post here at all ! Do you have any renders to show to us , Penang ?

dandelO

Kadri, this was posted in your forum, you can type what, and where, you like.
And, not to go too far back down that old road but, as for earthquakes, bring them on! Smite this bacterial life of cruelty and greed! Where's your Pounds and Dollars then? :D

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on September 29, 2010, 05:15:57 PM
Kadri, this was posted in your forum, you can type what, and where, you like.
And, not to go too far back down that old road but, as for earthquakes, bring them on! Smite this bacterial life of cruelty and greed! Where's your Pounds and Dollars then? :D

Of course you are right DandelO , but look to his last posts ...
It looks more like needling the beehive (if that makes sens) !
Anyway i don't want to be a part of this  :)

dandelO

I know all about the old posts, I kept out of them, publicly.
I don't think there's any problem with anyone posting their reactions to this thread.
I think it's farcical, all the talk of billions and trillions, debts, jobs, cuts, £££, $$$, etc.
Each and every one of those things are inventions of people. They have no actual meaning to the actual living of actual life. Only to the continuation of a polluted and corrupt system of US/them. Pun quite intended.

Just when you thought The Book Of Numbers was a good few thousand years ago, along come the government to remind you otherwise! Daily.

gregsandor

Quote from: dandelO on September 29, 2010, 04:47:29 PM
Well, Greg, you're sorted. I'm f*cked!

Those are only examples, I'd love to see the majority of the inhabitants of my fantastic country go up against The Real Life. Piss myself!

*Edit: Where will you buy a cow?

Where do you live?  As for getting a cow, I live just a few miles from some of the best farmland on Earth, plenty of cattle, and lots of wild game in the woods.  The United States isn't in as much trouble as some would have you believe.

dandelO

Of course, Greg. I live in Scotland. I used those only as examples of things that most Westerners take for granted on a daily/hourly basis.
Nothing I'd like more than to live without being Tesco-dependant, if you know what I mean. Really, I shouldn't be drinking coffee, I have no coffee plantation. I shouldn't be eating a Mars Bar, I have no cocoa field. Things like this shouldn't really be in my everyday life but they are because my country is capitalist.
I do not eat red meat so killing a cow is counter productive to me really, I boycott the Coca Cola company and all of its sub-groups, of which there are many, their greed and disgusting exploitation is not something I want to be a part of.
Of course, I'd like to be entirely self-sufficient but when the government say; "You can't build a house there! We own that empty piece of land. You can't fish that portion of the river, we own that river-water, and all of its contents! You can't etc. etc. etc." It's a sad state of affairs that you're not allowed to live off the fat-of-the-land in our country because someone owns that land. There is a Pound sign on everything.

dandelO

Quote from: gregsandor on September 29, 2010, 06:04:52 PM
I live just a few miles from some of the best farmland on Earth

So do I! I can walk from my home into the wilderness within minutes. Can I set up my family in it, though? Nope, because it is now no longer just hills and forest, it's 'owned'. As are we all. :(

gregsandor

Dude, there's nothing wrong with trade:  If you trade your labor with the guy who grows coffee beans and wants wool but can't raise sheep (or whatever it is you do up there) then both of you benefit.

Being self-sufficient starts on a much smaller scale than building a house wherever you want to.  Start with things you can manage, for example, learn to do the things on that list you posted above.  This last year and a half I learned to make clothes, just finished a warm wool coat last week and tonight I'm making a couple of shirts.  (and paid for the wool that I can't produce, with the kind of labor I can do).

I'll give you a start on your list:

Telling time in the far north latitudes during the day:
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/ECT/Daymarks/

Telling time at night:
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/night/telling_time.htm

Quote from: dandelO on September 29, 2010, 06:23:56 PM
Of course, Greg. I live in Scotland. I used those only as examples of things that most Westerners take for granted on a daily/hourly basis.
Nothing I'd like more than to live without being Tesco-dependant, if you know what I mean. Really, I shouldn't be drinking coffee, I have no coffee plantation. I shouldn't be eating a Mars Bar, I have no cocoa field. Things like this shouldn't really be in my everyday life but they are because my country is capitalist.
I do not eat red meat so killing a cow is counter productive to me really, I boycott the Coca Cola company and all of its sub-groups, of which there are many, their greed and disgusting exploitation is not something I want to be a part of.
Of course, I'd like to be entirely self-sufficient but when the government say; "You can't build a house there! We own that empty piece of land. You can't fish that portion of the river, we own that river-water, and all of its contents! You can't etc. etc. etc." It's a sad state of affairs that you're not allowed to live off the fat-of-the-land in our country because someone owns that land. There is a Pound sign on everything.

dandelO

Thanks for the links, Greg.
That's great that you are learning all of this stuff, too. My current endeavour is 'FIRE!' ;)
Of course, I'm generalizing with the above posts but the fact of the matter is that most people in our communities do not know the 'hows' of this stuff because they're cowed into a life of consumption.
Cheers!