Terragen TIFF output

Started by billg60, October 01, 2010, 03:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billg60

I have a couple questions about TG2 TIFF output. There is no colorspace profile associated with the TIFF produced by TG2. Any idea which profile I should map it to when finalizing in Photoshop? In Photoshop, image info indicates they are only 8bit but from the file manager a 24bit level is reported. Any idea which is correct?

Thanks,
Bill

Volker Harun

Well, the colour space is a philosophy in itself. You should choose one, that fits your needs ... print, screen, ...
Once you have chosen this for Photoshop, you ought to convert any image into this colour space.

The Tiff has 8bit per colour, which is 3x8bit = 24bit ,-)

Cheers, Volker

PorcupineFloyd

Colour spaces and bit depths are mostly irrelevant to each other (unless you are using ultra-wide gamut spaces, like Pro Photo RGB). I usually work in Adobe RGB 1998 because it renders more greens than sRGB but after all if you intend to print your materials in digital photo lab (photos or renders), sRGB should be enough for most needs. You can pretty much harm images if you play with colour spaces while not knowing their basics (conversions, gamuts on different devices, calibration, etc.), so it's a good practice to stick with sRGB and learn.
For photography also consider shooting RAW because they have no colour profiles assigned (they need conversion), and for Terragen save as Open EXR - If you ever decide to tweak colour representation or exposure you will have an opportunity to do so without re-rendering.