Natural Bridge on the Moon

Started by blackcat, October 05, 2010, 07:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcat

A NASA lunar orbiter recently discovered a natural bridge on the Moon as wide as a two-lane highway. This is my TG2 depiction of what I think it might look like seen from the surface.

Zairyn Arsyn

i agree with inky, it looks really good.  :)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Looks good , Blackcat  :)
How does the color version look?

Seth

Naoo

Volker Harun

Quote from: Seth on October 05, 2010, 10:52:31 AM
a bit rocky for the moon ^^
If it were not the moon, I would say, stunning rocks ,-)

blackcat

Thanks for all the nice compliments...they are much appreciated.

The bridge was created by the collapse of a lava tube, which is the reason for all the rubble at the bottom. You can just barely make out this debris in the orbital photo of the feature. There are a number of collapsed lava tubes on earth (notably in Hawaii) which provided visual models for this depiction. It's also similar to the enormous piles of rock one finds under large domes in caverns.

blackcat

This one depicts one of the long, linear ice cliffs recently discovered on Saturn's moon, Dione.

blackcat

Exploring Io, Jupiter's volcanic moon.

blackcat

A scene on Titan, just after a methane rain has soaked the shores of a methane lake. This was done for Scientific American earlier this year.

jbest

Io's volcano there is an image map shader?
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

blackcat

Gliese 581 d, the recently discovered "Goldilocks planet" that may be very earth-like. It orbits very near a red dwarf star.

blackcat

Quote from: jbest on October 05, 2010, 05:15:07 PM
Io's volcano there is an image map shader?

You mean for the colors? There is one for the entire moon, but I didn't use that here. We are much too close to the surface for it to work. The landscape itself was generated from a heightfield map that I created from scratch in Photoshop (something I do for all my TG renderings).

jbest

I meant the "firework"-looking volcano.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.