How to create canyons?

Started by reck, March 18, 2007, 08:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Can TG2 create canyons? If so how do I mould the terrain to create one? I tried using two heightfields, one on the left and one on the right with the camera in the middle. But the side of the heightfields are very smooth with no roughness or shape and just go straight up. I think the only canyon images I have seen have just been imported terrains and not created.

rcallicotte

You probably need to get World Machine or any other useful terrain builder to create the main terrain.  Here's a tutorial, after you get your terrain - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=583
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

^ What he said.

just search google for world machine.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

reck

I was hoping terragen could create canyons, didn't really want to use another bit of software but if thats the only way i'll take a look. Thanks

Will

you could but it would be easer to do it in anouhter program.

Regards,

will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

The Geostation

It is possible to do canyons (either wide open spaced ones, or trenches) by using the heightfield features in TG2.   Working on the fractal settings for these will help.

Best regards,

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Volker Harun

Try it this way:
First: Play with a terrain until you have some really good ridges (like an inverted canyon).
Second: Create a normal fractal terrain.
Third: Add a merge shader
Fourth Choose for the merge a subtract (in the second tab)
Fifth: Play with the scale of your first terrain to your needs.

Volker Harun

reck

Andrew I have been messing around with heighfields but the sides didn't look right. I added a power fractal to the heightfield generate node and this helped a little but it still didn't look right.

Volker, this sounds very interesting. I'll play around with this method and see what happens. Have you seen any canyon images that have been created with 100% in terragen?

child@play

interesting topic!

gave it a try, used 2 heigthfields, both going through twist and shear shader, used volker's hint (BIG thanks!) and merged with a fractal terrain.

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: child@play on March 18, 2007, 07:41:51 PM
interesting topic!

gave it a try, used 2 heigthfields, both going through twist and shear shader, used volker's hint (BIG thanks!) and merged with a fractal terrain.

good job.....what was volker's hint agan???
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

child@play

thx ;)

Quote from: Volker Harun on March 18, 2007, 03:37:31 PM
Try it this way:
First: Play with a terrain until you have some really good ridges (like an inverted canyon).
Second: Create a normal fractal terrain.
Third: Add a merge shader
Fourth Choose for the merge a subtract (in the second tab)
Fifth: Play with the scale of your first terrain to your needs.

Volker Harun

;D

that's the part i've been struggeling with, it's basically a way to add more displacement to the terrain, so that it doesn't look too straight and 'defined'

p.s.: trying to create a whole canyon-landscape now.
i want to build it from 1 big heightfield (H 1) -grey- , which is sunk, let's say y = -2000
after that, i want to place several other heightfields (H 2...7) -brown-  on this 'base-heightmap',
let's say feature scale = 1500

the base (H 1) has no real heigthfield, it's just a flat, quadratic 'hole', the other heightfields are being generated, they go through the same shaders, maybe except for twist and shear direction.

what do you think, can it be done this way? (sorry for the bad sketch ;))
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

child@play

:-[ i apologize for the double-post, but i got first results i wanted to share

just a very quick render... 

DiscoBall

Those looked at first like..steps :P

But nicely done! :)

child@play

hehe, yeah, just a quickie, was almost falling asleep ;)

right now, after adjusting the strata´, adding fake stones etc. i'm exploring the scene. found a nice 'close-up'.

the structure on the left is a fake stone, scale = 100, with strata

edit: second pic is the same spot, only 250m above, the red dot is the camera-pos of the first pic
hm, strange artifacts occured, like in the blue 'circle'